surround sound on ubuntu (5.1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

blue4paper

In Runtime
Yeah are there any sound configuration programs? When i was watching a dvd i tried going to the settings for the dvd player, 5.1, but that doesn't seem to work.

On windows i'm using 3D Audio Configurations, works great too. Anything just as great for linux? Or is it like a manual configuration?

Or does it require sound drivers?

Heres a picture of my sound options. I think its just "C rear panel". Not sure so i just took a picture of it all :D

Edit : Merry Christmas

Play around in gnome-sound-properties (I think that's it, anyway). Go into the preferences and check all of the boxes that have to do with surround sound, then just play with the levels.

This may or may not work, but it's worth a shot. If this doesn't do anything search Google for a solution. There's also some configuration file you can mess with.

tried that already, and plus i don't think ubuntu is recognizing my surround sound properly as it should. Normally windows doesn't recognize my 5 speakers until i configure it with 3D audio configuration. Nothing else works.

I can't get my Realtek sound card (Foxconn motherboard in sig) to work either. It has 5.1 surround in Windows (using Multi-channel Sound Manager) but Linux only gets 2 channels. Apparently surround sound is just not highly supported, as are wireless networking and new graphics cards.

I have a hard time getting Ubuntu to recognize my 5.1 system. I have my Creative drivers installed and yet i only get stereo sound.

Ah well I found a new compiling alsa guide "https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HdaIntelSoundHowto" and everything in there is exactly what i did except for one thing. Where it says "sudo mkdir -p /usr/src/alsa" i did "sudo mkdir -p /usr/alsa/" could this be causing my audio issues?

Edit: Also when i type in the command "cat /proc/asound/card0/codec#* | grep Codec" i get "no such file or directory"

I did post on ubuntuforums also just waiting for reply. Thought i'd give it a go here to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom