Strange and unacceptable graphics glitch in 1Mandrake linux 10.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

digitaloracle

Daemon Poster
Alright, so I installed mandrake 10.0, it seemed to go fine, recognized everything without issues, ect. But when I got the system running, and switched the resolution from 800x600 to 1024x768 in KDE (the integrated card should do that fine with 128 mb of system ram), I found to my dismay that it glitched horribly, on two issues:
1.) The taskbar is totally absent. I have no idea what happened to it.
2.)It redraws the left side of the screen (about a quarter of it) to what appears to be the splash login screen. I can remove this "paint" with my mouse. Also, in a similar painting fasion, it draws the right side of windows there, it looks, before I mouse over it, like the window has wrapped around the screen. Also, the visual login screen is down in the bottom right, and most windows are opened like that.

How do I fix this? I will not tollerate any resolution delow 1024x768. Thats part of the reason why I bought this system in the first place!System specs:
128mb ram
AMD duron something
some form of VIA chipset (installer displays things fine)

Hmm, after some random tweaking (and I do mean random), it seems to work fine. Dunno what caused it, but I guess something (either x or KDE, thinking it's X) had the wrong resolution. I would still like a reason for this, as things I dotn understand (esp. computer related) irritate me.

was the screen like wrapped partially around, as if it had been shifted left or right about 100 pixels or so?

yeah, exactly like that. I have no idea what I did to fix it, but it works now. Wish I could say the same for the interent... it wont resolve any hostnames, or it does so so intermittently that it might as well not do it at all.

ya, chances are something is loose in the motherboard, AGP slots are notorious for that

as far as internet, do you have the namserver or DNS #'s entered into the /etc/resolv.conf file? if not add them, its simple

add a line:
nameserver <dns_IP_from_isp>

Yep got it! Works fine now, comp lags a lot though (it's only an 800Mhz with 90megs of ram :( ) but for $150 I cant really complain. Thanks for the help, I'll probably need more once I get into setting it up for a webserver.

install apache for webserver, read up on apache, its got more options in its config file than you will believe, but they are commented very well, basically most likely just point it towards the directory you want to serve up then go from there

I have done it before, but unfortunatley things dont always work out as they would any other time so..
At this point I do have one specific question: with security set to "Higher," how do I open specific ports? For example, even though the daemon is running, I cannot SSH into the comp, nor VNC in , nor (I think) FTP in.

make sure the services are up, thats usually located in /etc/inetd.conf, uncomment the necessary lines, and if needed, get the PID of inetd and restart it with:
kill -HUP <pid>

secondly, as root do iptables -L and see whats listed, may have to flush the ruleset with iptables -F

be advised doing it this way will more than likely conflict if youve set this with a network configuration GUI of some sort, sounds like thats the case, I never use those, I do everything the old fashioned way cause its reliable and it always works, I had nightmares in the past with Redhat doing the GUI way.

Yeah, The GUI way scares me (in windows too). In windows I can sort of do it manually, but I have no idea how to do it via the console in linux. Happily though, Linux config fiels are usually very well commented, so Just point me to the file(s) and some common pitfalls and I'll see what I can do :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom