Standardized Linux

Status
Not open for further replies.

chadwick300

Solid State Member
I know that there have been attempts in the past to standardize Linux. So that they have a similar system for unpacking files and programs(ex. RedHat .rpm, Debian .deb) I wonder if they will ever be successful in standardizing Linux to make it somewhat easier to learn and use.

standardizing the package management wont change much, you can still compile stuff from source on any of them

Novel taking over SUSE is a big step. Also large companies like IBM contributing to open source is another.

It is slowly happening.

-Adam

Red Hat seems to be the top dog enterprise Linux wise. If you are looking for a "standard" linux, a RHEL compatable distro wouldn't be a bad way to go. A server I manage runs Cent OS 3.3, and is pretty nice.

Of course, if all Linux distros were "standard" there wouldn't be much of a point in having multiple distros. As it is now, users can pick a distro that is in line with their skill level and personality. That goes a long way to adoption.

Then, we have the Linux Standard Base project, which seeks to make certian things common among distros. This allows you to have something suitable to you but is also compatable with other software and distros. Here is the LSB project site: http://www.linuxbase.org/ . And some certified packages: http://www.opengroup.org/lsb/cert/cert_prodlist.tpl

If you have a desire for something less "spread out" and more "standardized", maybe you should try out a BSD operating system, such as FreeBSD.

The way I see it, Linux is always going to be "spread out", and that has its positive and negative sides. BSD is more centralized, or standardized.

(disclaimer: I do not use *BSD, I use Gentoo Linux)

Being diversified is the beauty of Linux. We can mold it into what we need it to be for our particular needs.

As far as BSD goes, thats not Linux its Unix and it is not for the newcomer.

Windows is standardized,,, and you get what you get, not much changing allowed. Linux will never be that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom