sound test works but no sound

Status
Not open for further replies.

joemorris86

Solid State Member
hi, i just installed fedora today, the sound test works and produces the test sound but when i try to play a cd or get any system sounds to work nothing....

does anyone have any ideas on how to fix this problem?

macdude425 said:
I had the same problem, and told it could be some sort of sound card conflict. Is your sound card built into your mobo or not?

well if you do lspci and lsmod and the hardware is showing and modules are loaded and there's no IRQ conflict then the volumes are muted or something isnt connected right, you use cat and send stuff directly to the sound device to test it, everything in linux is treated as a file including devices.

my soundcard is built into my mobo, and i ran the mixer and all the volumes were full, any ideas?

Is it plugged into right jack?, sorry, have to eliminate the obvious.

Sometimes alsamixer or any other mixer wont unmute ALL the settings, go here: http://www.linuxquestions.org and search the fedora forum, ive seen this before somewhere, seems like another guy had a similar problem and the settings had to be manually altered because the pcm or something was disabled by default.

also have you tried an mp3 instead of the cd player, do you have the little 3 wire cable connected to your sound input on your motherboard?

Also, if using KDE youve probably got the arts sound system involved as well, that needs to be set up too.Ive had issues with arts myself, I disabled it an let esound take care of it, it does a better job.

try echo uifghildfhul >> /dev/dsp

the letters arent important, anything will do, it should make speakers go pop if its working

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom