sound with linux help

Status
Not open for further replies.

U-Toast

Fully Optimized
ok, i have spent many hours on this forums about my home theater system as some of u might know :D Well after many hours, i finally bought an audigy 2 zs platinum, and connected my home theater system via optical spdif ( all this in windows ) it was great. Now that i have switched to linux slackware 10, i dont know how to make it work. I have configured alsaconf. i have tried plugging the left and right cables in a y plug to the normal speaker jack on the sound card. i cant get any sound.

Help would be appreciated.

from a terminal type as root:
dmesg | more------->scroll thru that and see if your card is detected and the driver loaded, or type lsmod and see if the appropriate modules are loaded

If thats ok, then type alsaconf, or alsaconfig, cant remember which it is, run thru that, if thats successful, type alsamixer, then unmute or raise the volume levels up, they are set to 0 by default, sound should work then.

wow, ok iv gone through both of them, i dont c anything much bout my sound card.. some times il c :
sbpcd-0 [03]: Scanning 0x340 (SoundBlaster)...
but thats it. What is it im looking for exaclty? my sound isnt muted, i know it.

grr this is annoying, thank for ur response tho.

it sais emu10k or w/e is unused, and that was the module or w/e that alsaconfig chose...

Does your motherborad have onboard sound?If so, have you disabled it in the BIOS?

That audigy card does work, I checked.

Goto linuxquestions.org and do a search for your sound card......

so far it sounds like slackware is seeing it, but the mixer settings have got something muted.

ok, when i go to alsamixer, it goes to the c-media (onboard?) so i should disable it in bios then? il try that and get back to u.

ok i diabled it, and the audigy appears when i type alsamixer. i put all at 100, and still no sound tho. right now i have my receiver on aux, the red and white plugged in aux, to a y cable the the green jack on pc.

What am i doing wrong?

Output of sound card is the green jack, other than that with your setup I dont know.

if your in the KDE desktop goto the control center and find the sound config section with arts, make sure thats setup right.

You can always log out of X back to a console, pop a CD in the drive, and run workbone or mpg321 or any other command line cd player to test your sound just to make sure its working.

Sounds like your getting closer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom