Sound

Status
Not open for further replies.

laxflip87

Beta member
Hey everyone. I am new to linux and I currently am having some problems. I hope some of you folks will be able to help me. I am using a Toshiba Protege 7020CT (i know its old but im currently poor) I got linux installed and everything is working but i have no sound. I cant even hear system sounds. Any ideas or am I just dumb.

without knowing what sound hardware it uses nobody will be much help

go here:http://www.tuxmobil.org

navigate to notebooks/toshiba and look it up

look like it uses an es1978 maestro sound and ALSA will work with it, try running alsaconfig as root and see what happens

open a terminal window or use the console and login as root, then type alsaconfig and hit return, follow the prompts and answer the questions

alright um i went into my console and started a root session typed in my password and i typed alsaconfig and i got nothign it said it doesnt exist would u perhaps know where this file is how i can find it or where perhaps i can download it.. also i noted this my linux version is tryign to use es1968 istead of es1978 which is the number tagged to my card on my hardware list where can i download jus es1978

I have no clue what flavor of linux your using nor anywhere near enough info to be much help.You need to find out what hardware exactly your using and exactly how your distro of linux deals with sound issues.I cant imagine a linux distro these days not using ALSA, its pretty standard.Combine that with the fact your a complete newbie Im not sure what to tell you, I could type out 30 pages of stuff and it still wouldnt help you.

Try this, open this file with an editor as root: /etc/rc.d/rc.modules

scroll thru that and see if your sound hardware is listed in the sound section, if so, uncomment the appropriate line and reboot.Not sure what else to try at this point.

Laptops can be tricky to deal with.

alright sorry about that im currently using Mandrake and its trying to use es1968 instead of 1978 i have a es1978 maestro 2e the module um.. thank you for the bit of help you could provide and if u got any further ideas id really appreciate it thank you.

Im not a mandrake person, not that its that much different than anything else, however these automated setup routines distro's like mandrake uses dont always make the right choices, sounds like this is one case of that happening.

If you cant get it to over ride and use the proper module you will have to do it the old fashioned way.Assuming it has ALSA that will need configured manually, check and make sure thats installed.If alsa-config in commandline as root wont work(it didnt above) try spelling it different or upper or lower case,its probably alsa-config, a couple letters plus the tab key will autocomplete entries in the command line for you.If that still wont work go here:http://www.linuxquestions.org and check the mandrake forum, do a search before posting questions.

also, try using modprobe to install the driver and see if it takes:
modprobe es1978

if that works, edit the /etc/rc.d/rc.modules file and uncomment that line where that module is and reboot, you still may have issues with mandrake overriding that if it checks for new hardware at every boot up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom