So I'm thinking of trying Linux

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt08642

Daemon Poster
So I'm thinking of trying Linux (on a separate drive partition, so I can just go back to XP if I don't like it).

What incarnation of Linux would you recommend for somebody who's not really comfortable with command line type stuff?

I would also like to be able to play my games (Half Life 2, CSS, Garry's Mod, Team Fortress 2)

thanks! :D

Ubuntu is a very well known Linux distro, that is very user friendly, and great for beginners.

If you want to play games on it, I think you would need a Windows emulator, as not many games support Linux.

Ubuntu is a very well known Linux distro, that is very user friendly, and great for beginners.

If you want to play games on it, I think you would need a Windows emulator, as not many games support Linux.

I read something on digg about WINE and it mentioned games... What is that?

Also, I'm downloading the live CD's for Ubuntu, Kubuntu. Does PCLinuxOS have a live cd?

I believe WINE is program, that let's you run Windows applications, on Linux. Probably includes gaming, because I've read about it, including a feature supporting pixel shaders.

Not sure about PCLinuxOS, offering a Live CD. I'll get back to you, on that one.

I'm currently on LinuxXP, a windows emulator, but I think I'm finding that's it's not alot different from other distro's. Ubunto isn't far off from it though, I run ubunto in live mode only, but I haven't run it in a while, pretty much stuck on this LinuxXP. as far as games go, I'm not entirely sure about wine, but it might get it going right. also, for your online games, there are some that offer linux downloads for the games. might also check into that

So right now I'm trying out Kubuntu.

So far, I like everything. It took all of 1 minute to boot, and was fully loaded in 2 minutes. No extra crap loaded or anything!

Okay, I am installing it on a separate partition for dual booting. How can I select the partition I set up in XP?

Also, how big does the partition need to be?

I selected that I wanted to make a 30GB partition, but when I try to make it, this pops up:

54575727kn4.jpg

How can I make this work?

you guys that wanted to know if pclinuxos was a livecd, yes it is.
i would recommend both pclinuxos and ubuntu to someone new to linux. pclos is awesome installing and is amazingly easy to use. for some reason, i think you will stick with ubuntu longer just because it is both easy for people new to linux, but is more powerful for when you get good with linux.

The Ubuntu CD includes the option to partition your drive. Just pop in the live CD, wait for it to boot, and click install.

Don't count on playing your games under Linux unless they can be run natively. It's possible, but usually a hassle. Some games work great under WINE or Cedega, some work alright after screwing around with it for an hour, and some don't work at all.

I installed Kubuntu on a 20GB Partition with a 512MB Swap partition :)

Everything is going well, and I'm getting wine at the moment.

I'll probably set everything up tomorrow. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom