Slackware Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
hey, i just loaded slackware 10 onto my gateway P.O.S. laptop an i am getting a display mode error is there a way around that or a away to fix that or am i doomed to running a different version of linux?

Changing distro wont do anything, why would it? This isnt windows, quit thinking like its windows.However, like windows you have to have the right driver and you ALSO have to have your xserver setup properly.

What video display does your laptop have, and what video adapter?

Have you run xorgconfig?

In linux the video is handled differently than windows, its modular instead.Ther's an X server, and then there's a window manager.Slackware 10 uses x.org's xserver.

http://www.x.org

you will need to know the refresh rates for your monitor and what chipset your video adapter uses, and what color vs resolutions it supports.

run xorgconfig and put that info in

then run xwmconfig and choose a windowmanager

then run startx

all of this done from a console terminal

How does KDE fit in the picture?? Reading x.org it is supported by all the heavy weights for development. You mention xserver how does that fit in with x.org??? Is there are problem running x.org when a mother board has its own video support? Then there is configuration which has to be a nightmare with perhaps 3 different programs using the resources of xorg. Thanks for the x.org reference, another step in the education process.

x.org is the xserver

an xserver does one job and one job only, it allows other programs to draw stuff on the screen in a graphic mode-->colors and resolution, but its a server, others can use the same xserver at the same time.For example someone else with a network connection can run programs on your machine and export the display to theirs.The xserver can also run multiple screens at the same time.

KDE is a window manager or GUI(graphic user interface) It also includes lots of apps that are specific to KDE, KDE is a GUI combined with an API(application programming interface)

Gnome is another GUI thats very much like KDE, it has its own libraries and apps as well.

You can however run KDE or gnome apps without either being installed as long as you have the necessary libraries installed too.There are lots of window managers or GUI's, I use fluxbox--> http://www.fluxbox.org

to configure your xserver with x.org you will need to run "xorgconfig" from a terminal screen or console as root.

it will ask you some basic questions about your video card and display and mouse.It will then write a configuration file on its own when your done, then just type startx and your in graphics or "X mode" This is assuming your GUI is ready to go to, usually it is, normally your given a choice when you set up your machine, or you cn change to something else easily usually.

provided you video drivers are already in xorg you will be fine, if not you will need to find and install some.

With NVIDIA for example you installl their drivers then go back and edit the xconfig file afterwards

horndude-thanks for the really fine lesson, I printed that one off its a keeper. I take it that folks writing software in 'C' would use KDE graphics library to output to the screen. Higher level calls for say instrument graphics presentation would go to xserver library as system calls???
Thanks once again.

Well, a programmer would have a choice to use any API available when KDE is running, both text mode in an X window or any of the graphic API's compatible while KDE is running on X.Thats the beauty of it, you can be in KDE and run Gnome apps,GTK apps, or any other graphic toolkit type language or API.They all fundamentally in the end use system calls thru something to X .Most of these API's are nothing more than a set of tools written in C or any other language, or more commonly in a couple at the same time, combined with a wrapper that allows you to interact with the Xserver without having to write assembly code for it, or low level C code either.X itself is and has its own API, and typically thats what you pass variables to, and it then outputs stuff to the screen, and it can use various modes as well.

For example, ncurses is a text mode graphic library written in C, but its really a set of tools or functions written in C that you can pass variables to and will do certain tasks.And you can do it without the headaches of having write all your own special functions.........what theyve done is extended the language and made tools for it.Each different language has its own set of tools....perl,python,lisp, etc etc all have their own extensions and modules.

Although you can write alot of stuff in C alone, these days its more convenient often times to use C for small repetitive functions, and use another language to call the functions from.Or use the tools available in these API's.

For example, the firefox browser, it makes use of the gimp tool kit or graphics tool kit, which is a set of functions with a wrapper that makes windows with buttons,sliders, and other windows like things your used to seeing.It also comes with a set of widgets, or mini programs or applets that do certain things.......its alot like a different version of visual basic or visual C.It also makes use of JAVA and its software development tools.

Even KDE has its own development library thats very similar to using visual basic in many ways.Its entirely possible to write software and hardly ever even touch C very much anymore.

Once again thanks..I am lucky to be able to discuss the OS prior to simply throwing it on the disk. :) I will have a much better idea of the components. My holdup in getting the OS running is resource right now, a family member neeeds an updated PC for their home business and it seems something always gets in the way. I have patience and continues to read about the OS. Thank you for help.
Added by edit--->I have Slackware on CD's(I wrote them). Can I load the second HDD with slackware and bring the Linux system up from a loader on CD or Floppy disk. I don't want to share the Windows disk(C:) and don't want to have dual boot. Is this feaseable???? I read where someone did this but it is not very clear to me.
I found a thread by buzzard34 where you talked about the second disk effort...so got my answer!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom