Slackware Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marvel

In Runtime
I have been reading about linux for sometine to try and develop a path for getting a system installed. Users seem to like slackware for simplicity and the ability to handle their own problems. Will slackware run KDE??? What would a typical slackware system consist of for applications. It would be used for general computing and not software development. Thanks.

Slackware will run any GUI made for linux including:GNOME,KDE,fluxbox,blackbox,xfce,icewm, windowmaker,NeXtstep, etc etc.It comes with those first 5 I mentioned as part of the distro.

Slackware comes with a very complete set of software, typically there's duplicates of everything, like 5 or 6 browsers for example, lots of choices.

When they talk about compile of modules, is C or C++ used or a combination?? Will C library modules be complete and standard or must they be downloaded? Are link libs downloaded as new service is added to a system??? Thanks.

Both c and c++ are used, but kernel modules are usually c.

All the necessary libraries and modules are included, as well as lots of extras like bittorrent,xcdroast, and a few other things.A complete slackware install is just over 2GB of stuff, realistically once you figure out what you want and what you will use you can get rid of more than half of it though.

Slackware uses a package system, if you install a new package and it needs some weird libarry you need to download the library too in most cases.It comes with most of the ones you will need, it includes everything needed to run the software that comes with the distro which is usually enough run darn near anything else as well.

Thanks, I will print off your replies they make good reference. I had been planning a IPCop router but are now shifting priority to a linux system as soon as I get hardware. The planning time up front allows for questions and preparation. Thank you.

Always glad to help, incidentally here's some more that may help you with hardware:stay mainstream, stay away from brand new cutting edge graphics cards for example, nvidia is fairly well supported, others are not.Printers are a tough issue, anything using pcl or postscript will work, others are spotty compatibilty wise.Linux natively makes a fine router on its own, its part of the kernel, that is, its built in, and its how I have my LAN setup--->shared broadband connection with one linux box acting as a gateway/router.Most network cards,filesystems, storage systems(drives),and any other hardware is usually supported, be wary of anything that requires windows specific drivers like winmodems for example.

One other question about Slackware, I visited their site and the new release is 10. It can be purchased from their site but its on disc...hope they mean CD. Is it bootable from CD??? I just don't have hardware(a PC) to put Linux on as yet and its driving me crazy not to be able to put into practice what I am reading.

Yes its bootable from cd, also on the cd is a set of kernels and options for making bootdisks on floppies should the need arise.

There's also included a "live" version that runs from a cdrom with no hard drive needed.

I may have commented that I downloaded Slackware ISO-1 and ISO-2. Today they are burned to CD(s), looking at some of the text files using notepad there all the text runs together. The control characters(s) for new line or end of line are there but the text runs all together??? Is note pad at fault or am I missing something to view the file line by line??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom