Slackware

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dark_Sniper*

Fully Optimized
um i downloaded slackware and stuff and i had put it on a cd but it wont open. and also if i do get it hook up will i be able to switch in and out of linux and windows.

Did you burn the CD as an image or data disc? What program are you using? Alcohol 120% will write CD images, and I'm pretty sure Ahead Nero will too if you click "disc image or saved project" and select the *.ISO.

You can configure a dual boot, first you will need to get Partition Magic, which costs money. I havent found a program that does the same, but others may have. Then I resized my main partition, and it left some unpartitioned space. I would use about 10gb. Then all I had to do (with Ubuntu) was boot from the CD and install on the new partition. It installed GRUB bootloader over the MBR, and it automatically identified Windows XP. Then after Ubuntu was finished installing, I had to change hard drive to "large" in bios, and it all worked just fine. I'm sure Slackware would do the same, maybe someone can tell you for sure.

data cd and iim using nero 6, and what this alchol 120% is it a program or a joke and plus what this partition magic i just what to mess around with linux to learn it im just looking for a computer that can handle it linux just for it so i can learn i really want to leaern it bably.

You will have to click on "disc image or saved project" when you start Nero, and browse for the Slackware ISO. Alcohol 120% is also a real program, it is what I use to create and burn cd images. Partition magic is a program that will resize your current Windows partition without losing any data, assuming there is free space and you have defragmented. Both Alcohol 120% and Partition Magic are software you have to pay for. You can download a 30 day trial of Alcohol 120%, but Partition Magic and similar pay programs such as these have a free trial, but it won't let you write anything to the disk so they are basically useless.

Partition Magic
Alcohol 120%

i already have it to a cd install one and two it just wont open horndude was helping on this too. and i do have alot of free disk space but i cant open it what do i do with it i mean i went on linuxiso.org and stuff and read how to burn it and stuff but im thinking og just buying a cheap old system or build one and use tha for linux so i dont mess up my first build computer and stuff. but man linux looks so cool and stuff i want to learn it

which cd's do you have exactly?

if its slackwre 10.1 disks 1 and 2, you put them in when your PC is off, then turn it on and boot from the first cd, that starts the install process

yea ok it is 10.1 version and stuff so all i have to do is load it when its the coimputer starts up but will i be able to choose from linux and windows if i plz and stuff

assuming you burned it on the disk correctly, and I dont think you did based on the answer you gave above, AND windows is already installed and there's free space to make a linux partition then yes you can install linux with a dual boot setup

But remember you have to create that free space for Linux using something like PartitionMagic.

You need to burn it as an iso image or else it won't work. Another problem could be that you have your cd-rom/dvd-rom booting in the wrong order. Make sure in the BIOS that the CD/DVD rom boots first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom