Slackware 10.2: Shutdown Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
did a search @ linuxquestions.org, nothing definitive other that it is probably and apm or acpi issue

just for kicks, disable acpi or apm or both in your BIOS and see what happens

also, do lsmod, Id like to see what modules are loaded

Here is the output of the lsmod command:
Code:
Module                  Size  Used by    Not tainted
snd-pcm-oss            36736   0  (unused)
snd-mixer-oss          12376   0  [snd-pcm-oss]
parport_pc             15044   1  (autoclean)
lp                      6404   0  (autoclean)
parport                22824   1  (autoclean) [parport_pc lp]
snd-intel8x0           18304   0 
snd-ac97-codec         58556   0  [snd-intel8x0]
snd-pcm                54344   0  [snd-pcm-oss snd-intel8x0 snd-ac97-codec]
snd-timer              13764   0  [snd-pcm]
snd                    32772   0  [snd-pcm-oss snd-mixer-oss snd-intel8x0 snd-ac97-codec snd-pcm snd-timer]
soundcore               3396   4  [snd]
snd-page-alloc          4712   0  [snd-mixer-oss snd-intel8x0 snd-pcm snd-timer snd]
sata_uli                1644   0  (unused)
libata                 28340   0  [sata_uli]
usb-ohci               19368   0  (unused)
ehci-hcd               17516   0  (unused)
usbcore                59148   1  [usb-ohci ehci-hcd]
8139too                13928   1 
mii                     2272   0  [8139too]
crc32                   2880   0  [8139too]
pcmcia_core            39172   0 
ntfs                   51232   3  (autoclean)
ide-scsi                9392   0 
apm                     9452   1

I couldn't find how to disable apm in BIOS. All I could find was
Power Management Setup -> ACPI Suspend Type -> it was set to S1 (POS), I changed it to S3
but nothing changed (I still can't shutdown normally).
I have no idea what any of this means... Should I change it back to S1 (I mean, since it didn't do anything)?

Thanks for your time.

P.S. You know, I was of course ready to encounter various problems and issues when I decided to start using Slack, but shutting down was not something I thought I'd have a problem with. :)

the apm module is loaded
see if there's an option in the BIOS for power management to just turn it off, otherwise put it back@S1

ok, maybe try this, as root:
modprobe -r apm

then try a shutdown, that will unload the apm module from the kernel, it might avoid this hangup but may require you to actually kill the power off manually instead of a "soft" shutdown(where it just turns itself off).......not sure how much the apm does.......I always thought it was mostly for some of the laptop power features

Looks like your motherboard doesn't support apm, and as you can't find any apm options in BIOS further supports this, however it looks like acpi is supported so you should either install the bareacpi.i kernel from disc 1, or if your feeling brave compile your own kernel. I'm not sure if the 2.6 test kernel slackware provides has apm support compiled in, but if it has than thats another option

Thank you all for your advice.
I will try to install the bareacpi.i kernel when I find the time, and I will post here to say if this solved the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom