Shutdown Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

m3trj

Fully Optimized
OK well it's not an ordinary shutdown problem.

Basically when my computer is on and I'm not in and my mum or dad want to go out for a bit they turn off the computers, except they can't shut mine down properly because they have to log in to shut it down (as far as I know). So instead they switch it off at the wall socket every time.

So far this hasn't caused any noticable problems, although when I start it it says it's fixing errors and stuff. I'm using ext2 file system.

Is there a way I can create a user that is just allowed to shut the system down? Or Linux be shut down without a password?

Thanks in advance.

try adding a regular user to the sys line in /etc/group, may need to change the permissions on /bin/shutdown or wherever it is=====chmod u+s /bin/shutdown

make that point to the actual location of the shutdown program, that will make it run suid root, change /etc/group first and check to see if that works first

If you are logged into X-Windows system. Your folks should be able to hit ctrl+alt+del this is set is /etc/innittab

I run red hat 9 and all versions of redhat that I have ever run this comand will reboot or shutdown depending on how you edit the code in /etc/inittab

add this line into /etc/inittab
ca::ctrlaltdel:/sbin/shutdown -h now

Horndude I know you are a slackware guy so I'm going to start up my slax box and see it this works with it. I'm not sure. It should but I've never tryed it.

mine has that line, but the keybindings to it dont work under X, only in console, crtl=alt-backspace kills X though

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom