Shrink NTFS partition to make way

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kram

Solid State Member
Okay, beginning my long quest into the world today and i already hit my first roadblock...
I used all my harddrive on NTFS for XP and I am looking for a way to shrink it to make way for a linux partition(dont wanna format and loose all my windows stuff)
Partition magic can do it... for $70(ill pirate it if i have to) and im trying some wierd free things...

Any help or software recomendations would be great. thanks

Okay I found my own answer!!

For anybody else that has this problem I used a FREE program called BootIt NG. Worked pretty well so far, no noticed lost data.

You can download it from BootIt NG
works good except my mouse still didnt work with it... no problem though ALT+X and TABing my way around

yeeah....why are you admitting this....you should try to keep info like this on the down low. as long as you don't request anything or ask for help on this there is no probs

Kram said:
... for $70(ill pirate it if i have to) ....

RGR, sorry i'll watch what i say better...

Anyway in an unitelligent attemp to get my system to boot linux and windows i somehow let LILO overwrite my whole MBR or something and now i cant boot into windows. Now im stuck in command prompt mode of slackware9.1 and i have no idea what im doing...:mad:

is there some way i can at least get back into windows so i have a better source of getting info them my parents old P133 computer

Hrm

other = /dev/hda1
label = xp
table = /dev/hda

was already in there and for some reason its not showing up in the boot options

Any ideas or more info needed?

When i run lilo all it says is :

added windows *

shouldnt linux be in there?!?!

thanks for your help

Device Start Boot start End Blocks Id System
/dev/hda1 * 1 9051 72702126 7 HPFS/NTFs
/dev/hda2 9052 9729 5446025 5 Extended
/dev/hda5 9052 9729 5446003+ 83 Linux

I have 3 kinda(dont know if it makes a difference) lilo.conf and one with ~ and other with .dat

Im leaving out the comment lines #...
boot = /dev/hda5
prompt
timeout = 50
vga = 773
other = /dev/hda1
label = WindowsXP

thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom