Should I trust Linux as OS?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Regarding your concern over missing My Computer: Let me second that when I first made the switch to Linux that was the biggest adjustment for me. Or, more accurately just how to find anything at all.

Windows "experts" will take some adjusting to the filesystem and general lack of a "registry." (Although, Gnome has something similar. Gnome-cfg I think.) Device drivers are completely different. And installed software is an absolute mystery at first. (Especially how to install applications that are not included in the repositories.)

But, you get used to these things and realize that their absense really doesn't bother you so much after a while. Then, as you break a few things and begin to really get involved you discover the CLI. Then, as you get more comfortable with that you learn how to really fix things and get down and dirty.

Before long then, you start to curse windows for its lack of functionality through the command line and its reliance on the GUI.

But, in the end, you find a nice balance between the two and realize that both stand up well on their own merits.

Oh, and I would just like to refute the claim that Linux is dominant in the server landscape. It should say that linux is dominant in the webserver landscape. (It is, although IIS is catching up) The enterprise realm (LDAP and other directory services) is still very much dominated by Microsoft and will be for some time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom