Should I trust Linux as OS?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I use Ubuntu a lot. I have it dual-booted with Windows XP (You don't have to dedicate a PC to just one OS, you can use more than one and choose which one you want to boot with GRUB, to change OS just reboot PC). It's better than Windows for Web browsing, office, and general PC use (more secure, better desktop effects especially with Compiz) but sometimes not so good with games. I've played quite a few games in Wine just fine (Jedi Academy, Quake 3, SimCity 2000, and others) and also some free games like OpenArena work great in Linux.

Ok guys, You sold me. Thanks for telling me I can DL it free. I was going to buy it on ebay, cool.

Linux is always free, be it cost or freedom.

if you run into any problems with linux post a thread an we will be more than happy to help.

I'm dling it now. I got Ubuntu LTS xtra support I guess it's free. Didn't say anything. At bottom of dl page it said -

Check here if you need the alternate desktop CD. This CD does not include the Live CD, instead it uses a text-based installer. What???..

I didn't check it... Yeh I know you can dual boot. But will it dual boot with Win98?? Thanks

It will dual boot.

The LTS is kind of old. You should probably download 7.10. You'll be much more pleased with it.

LTS just means it has like 3 years of support rather than a year and a half, but within a year and a half, they're going to have version 8 out, which will be the new LTS.

Brinson thanks.
I tried burning a disc but it failed. I have to make it a boot disc right? Or is it already. Remember I dled it to my WinXP computer. I have Nero software.

Should I just dl this to my Win98 computer and click on the cd.exe in Ub after dl or what? I'm not finding much info on how to get this from comp to bootable cd.

Why did Ub dl start copying files to my WinXP computer just before finishing dl? I don't want any remnants on my XP computer.

The LTS (6.06) one is old, dating all the way back from 2006. Definitely get 7.10, as it is MUCH easier to install (automatically detects network, wireless, video cards and finds drivers). You can burn the ISO on any software, Windows or Linux, that can burn ISO images. They will be bootable. You should never pay for Linux. There are some commercial distros (Red Hat, LinuXP, etc) but these are pointless (and actually probably not as good as Ubuntu) when better, free alternatives like Ubuntu are fully supported and free.

Having problems burning already 2 coasters. It says data failed. Using a liteon DVD burner and nero smart on my XP.

YEs, I dled 7.10

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom