Should I get Linux?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PENGUINKK

Solid State Member
My laptop has just been compromised, and the options are the tech guys can try to fix it, I can buy another XP, or get another OS. So, since Linux is free, I'm inclined to that option.

Now, I really only use my laptop for gaming, word, excel, and powerpoint documents, web browsing, and veiwing tabs and sheet music. How much would changing to Linux affect my computer life? Is it anything similar to Windows at all? Would my current PC games be compatible with Linux?

Couldn't you just reinstall the copy of xp you all ready have instead of buying a new one?

In linux Open office will be able to open your ms office documents and most Linux distro's come with Firefox so the internet won't be a problem. Your current pc games won't work in linux though.

If you do decide to go with linux Ubuntu is a good distro to start with because it is fairly popular and as a result there is a lot of documentation available for it.

Ubuntu Home Page | Ubuntu

How much would changing to Linux affect my computer life?

There is a lot less for gaming options in Linux, but there are certailnly games and I suppose with VMWare you could run Windows games. But almost all other functions you would do in Windows, you can do something similar in Linux.

Is it anything similar to Windows at all?

Things different :
Linux uses a different file system (not NTFS like XP and Vista). Linux usually uses ext2 and ext3 file systems, which is a different way for the OS to read, write and archive files to the HDD. In other words, the heirarchial design of Linux is based on the concept that everything comes from the "root", which is where administration priveleges are based from.

Things same:
There are programs like OpenOffice which is similar to the M$ Office Suite. The Terminal offers a text-based interface for making system changes, installations, etc. Sort of like the old DOS prompt window. There is a plethora of Linux programs you can download, all free and many are like Windows programs, but of course they aren't though.

Would my current PC games be compatible with Linux?

Not likely.

*Advice: Give Ubuntu a try, it is relatively easy for n00bs to Linux. I haven't been using it myself more than a couple months, but it has been worth the time invested thus far, and then some.

**More advice: DONT get into the habit of thinking it should be just like Windows, it isnt Windows. Things will seem weird, but the challenge to me is exciting. People like Saxon have used it all their lives, so they are the ones who can help you more on this. Hang around this forum and you will learn a lot right away, there are a lot of very knowledgeable people around these parts.

Couldn't you just reinstall the copy of xp you all ready have instead of buying a new one?
My laptop came pre-installed with it.

And the game I play is Battlefield 1942, and, after doing some research, it appears the game is compatible with Linux, but only after some work.

So, if my laptop can't be fixed, I think I'll go with Linux. Thanks for your help, and other posts are appreciated.

Well that is good that you can use that game with Linux. :D Using Linux takes some patience and willingness to keep an open mind to learning a lot of new things, but seems well worth it to me so far. I hope you find it works for you too, when you try it out. Good luck with everything, Penguinkk.

My laptop came pre-installed with it.

And the game I play is Battlefield 1942, and, after doing some research, it appears the game is compatible with Linux, but only after some work.

So, if my laptop can't be fixed, I think I'll go with Linux. Thanks for your help, and other posts are appreciated.

That doesnt mean you cant reinstall Windows. You just need a CD with XP Home or XP Pro OEM. In which you can use your current serial with and still be legit.

You could dual boot. Install linux so you can play your games and have linux to surf the net! :)

You could dual boot. Install windows so you can play your games and have linux to surf the net! :)

Edited for accuracy. :p

I dual boot. I'm a fan of it. When I play games, I play them for long periods. When I'm not playing games, I get into "work mode" where I'll be in Ubuntu for the rest of the day doing stuff or even just surfing and listening to music.

Keep windows and just dual boot with linux or get a 1gb+ flashdrive and install linux on that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom