Sharing Harddrive between OS's

Status
Not open for further replies.
what do i have to do in XP to allow linux to read/write to a hard drive and/or partition, i always get error you do not have permission. im guessing it XP blocking any users that arent in the list but i forget how to allow users?

that's because you don't have the NTFS-3G driver Macdude mentioned. the driver that comes with Linux distros by default (i think there are legal reasons NTFS-3G can't be bundled) can't write to NTFS partitions. NTFS-3G is a stable third party driver.

jordo, try checking the mount point. it should be under 'filesystem' in your file manager. it seems it's mounted as /Shared HD.

thanks Macdude (and others), those commands got it working right. I really appreciate it. And for the record...I'm definitely going to learn all the commands and stuff for the terminal. The only thing is that I'm just not using linux much at the moment but once I get into it more I'm sure I'll have things down pretty quick.

That's depressing. It DEPENDS on Windows. Doesn't that kind of, oh, I don't know, defeat the point?

Also, I don't see what's so special about it being picked up in boot.ini - you realize that I have never had a GRUB install go wrong in approximately 50 installs? More than I can say for ntldr.

Wubi makes it easy for people to TRY ubuntu without having to touch their windows install. If they want pure ubuntu, they can download the official cd.

Its neat because it doesn't even require you to partition your HD.

If you're just looking to try it then you can use the Live CD.

Besides, partitioning isn't actually very hard.

No, but it sucks. You have to dedicated X amount of space to one, and X to another. And moving files between them is hard and annoying.

With wubi they're installed on the same partition. It runs JUST like partitioing, except better. No loss of space or anything.

Plus, windows users don't have to loss all their data or find a windows xp install disc, or their serial, since most pc companies don't give it to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom