Sharing Folder On Ubuntu Laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

RockyZ

Daemon Poster
Setup a network with everything. With my Ubuntu laptop I can see my Windows XP shared folder, and on my Windows Xp I can see my Linux.

The problem is when I try to access the shared folder in Ubuntu from my XP, it request username and password. I did not setup a password for this shared folder. I tried using my login for my Ubuntu, it did not work. What should I do to gain access to it?

type this command
Code:
sudo gedit /etc/samba/smb.conf
into the terminal and type your password when it asks. Then scroll down to the "authentication" section and find where it says something like "security = usr" (not sure if thats exactly what it is, its been months since I changed it) and change it to "security = share"

After that type this command
Code:
sudo /etc/init.d/samba restart

Then test it out and let me know how it goes.

Ah, yes, okay. See that little simicolon in front of that line I told you to edit? Delete that, it's commenting out the line. Then do
Code:
sudo /etc/init.d/samba restart
again. (a little tip: if you dont want to copy and paste that command again just open the terminal and hit the up arrow until you see it, then hit enter.)

I hope that works

I already restarted the server maybe I should restart this machine to see if that the problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom