Sell me on Linux

Status
Not open for further replies.

beedubaya

Golden Master
I have used Linux a little bit, and am debating on putting it on a second hard drive. However, I don't see how this operating system would benefit me much. If I were setting up a server, then yes, but since I use my computer for mostly gaming, what benefit would I get by using Linux? Also what distro should I get?

if you're using ur pc for mostly games its better to stick with windows. there are games that can run on linux, but a huge majority of games work only on windows.

if you have to get a version of linux i would recommend suse linux, it just has many features and good looks to me.

Thursday, I will be off this dial-up and on 11Mbps wireless cable, so I will download that then. Anyway, what features would benefit me?

@ guru - i believe its very much true.

@ beed - what do you use ur pc for, besides gaming??

Pretty much just gaming. I have MSOffice, so I don't need Linux for the free office apps that come with it. I don't use it as a server or anything. I am a tech enthusiast though, so if there is a feature in Linux that is cool enough, I might try it out. But from what I've seen, Windows is way more my kind of operating system.

I do gaming also and I will use linux as the occasional vacation from microsoft. Although like i said dub, our pc's dont support suse 9.1 yet as far as i know.

in that case you don't need linux.

however you say that you are enthusiastic about technology so with that in mind, i recommend you use it to get familiar with it. there are alot of cool things about linux, check it out, you might just prefer it over windows.

A vacation from Microsoft...mabye if you're using ME, but I've had little problems with XP for the year and a half I've been using it. Can somebody tell me what Linux can do that Windows can't?

linux is alot more stable, secure neat and it takes alot less time to boot up. mandrake takes around 29seconds to boot, suse 37 and windows xp 59seconds, all tested on the same computer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom