Seeing my shared Win 7 Folders on Ubuntu 12.10 Laptop HELP

y2adre

In Runtime
Ive tried samba and still cant get my new ubuntu 12.10 setup to see my win 7 shares on my desktop. For one instance it did see it on my xbmc running in ubuntu. I say maybe 30 seconds later, it refused the connection to the shares. My win 7 shares are shared to everyone so I usually have no problem. Type username and password when i'm connected to my wifi. Please help, Ive watched countless youtube vids and I still cant get it. didnt have this problem with 12.04 LTS

Last edited:
Can you post the contents of your smb.conf? This is located in /etc/samba.

Example - in terminal: gedit /etc/samba/smb.conf. Select all, copy, and paste here or into pastebin.com and link it here.

as soon as i get home i will. I am currently at work till 4pm eastern time. I'll be home about 5pm, I will copy and paste it asap thx for the feedback

Last edited:
Exactly! I'm in nc on vacation, not home sorry for the delay. It just seemed a lot easier on 12.04, all i did was select network, wait for it to load and my shares appeared

Last edited:
I'm still a little confused, but here's what I do to mount Samba shares:

On Windows - Start - Run - \\ip.address.of.server
On Ubuntu - Nautilus - CTRL L - smb://ip.address.of.server
On Mac OSX - Finder - Command K - smb://ip.address.of.server

I do something along the lines of this.... (I forgot exactly what it was)

Code:
sudo mount -t cifs \\\\ip.address.of.server\\Folder\\ on\\ Server ~/mount/directory/

Again, I forgot exactly what I enter because it's been so long since I've had to do so. (yes, four backslashes)

I did this because otherwise I wouldn't get write access without "sudo" before every command to write / execute / save on the directory

Back
Top Bottom