Seeing Linux directories on Windows machine, and vice versa

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you eyeCPC ! Much clearer to me now.

You're working with two differents OSs there for sure. :p

Lightbulb flashing on - I remembered seeing an icon within Ubuntu the other night, and under /networks, I saw a Windows machine icon. Is that my XP computer I wonder ? I think it is starting to make sense now. Thanks Calc.

I ran into something similar when installing ubuntu on an extra drive here for "Windows network". That would appear to be the option for connecting through an active network for cross platform sharing. CalcProgrammer1 should be able to fill you in more on that.

If you are connected to anything active even the internet that will be detected. The problem then is seeing things configured correctly for network sharing there between the two. You still have to have some type of direct connection between the two however for that to work.

This is why I suggested simply using rewritable media or a flash drive since prices have fallen on those for seeing quick tranfers between the laptop and desktops there. For moving any large amount of data then you would look at an external usb drive to go between each or an external usb enclosure for the laptop drive for upload or download of files by way of the usb ports.

The format the file is in will make a difference just between two type of text editors for one OS alone. You can't use NotePad for files seeing the doc extension intended for Word Pad, MS Office, etc there.

Likewise if you create a document in Linux a program like OpenOffice will be needed in Windows to open it. Or you will first have to convert it from one file type to another.

Wha?

I can use Notepad in Windows and open it in Linux, and use G-Edit in Linux and open it in Notepad...you can open almost anything in notepad in windows...

As far as making a Doc file in Linux with OpenOffice..you can save it in a Word format (.doc) so you can still open it in Windows...and vice-versa with Word on Windows for opening in OpenOffice in Linux.

Carnage is right. I have use KNote to make a text file in Ubuntu and have been able to open it up in not only notepad, but wordpad and Office 2007 Word as well.

.doc file formats is for mainly all Windows stuff. Now if it was .odf which is the Open Document Format, then yes OpenOffice would be needed. But for a .doc and .txt file along with .pdf you can use tools in both Windows and Linux to open them up in either OS with no issue. I do it everyday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom