Screen Resolution wont stay put

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright walk me thru your exact procedure you did here. After you copied the files over from teh LiveCD to now. I will do the same thing and see if i can get the same results. I will also tell you what i have done to have my settings be saved.

Do you have it set to Auto? Looking at the nvidia settings screen i see:

Config: TwinView (Cause i run dual monitor)
Resolution: Auto
Position: Absolute

Does yours read like that?

i'm not sure it would matter cause i'm not on dual monitor anymore. I had for a while like...5 months back? But i dont anymore.

But yeah i got a new copy of the xorg.conf from live cd. Replaced it with my messed up one. Then i tried saving my resolution settings in nvidia-settings but even after it successfully saved it still doesn't stay at the resolution i want.

Well the part i would like to know about is the Resolution and Position parts.

The Resolution sounds like it is setting itself to Auto which is forcing the Resolution to set itself back to 1024*768. If you try to force 1280*124 where the auto is that is where it is coming up with issues. At least that is what i am gathering.

yeah i read somewhere that theres a "preferredmode" and as long as its set to "true" it alwasy goes back the to preferred resolution.

heres the link XF86Config(5) manual page

I would try it but i'm not too sure how to write it in the config. And my XF86config file is only xf86config.sample. Anyways maybe that link might clear things up. If you know how to write it how then all the better. I just know i needa change preferredmode from true to false then it should stay as 1280x1024

But that file isnt what Ubuntu uses. It uses xorg.conf and the nvidia settings are what help you get a GUI version of that.

command line options, environment variables, the XF86Config configuration file, auto-detection, and fallback defaults.

No where in there does it mention anythign about the xorg.conf file.

Screen Resolution not saved - Ubuntu Forums
https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+question/8573

So the file you are looking at doesnt sound like it pertains to Ubuntu. It sounds more along the lines of KDE based not Debian based distros.

haha it worked! i followed these steps from https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+question/8573

All, here is the solution:

1. Remove nvidia binary driver if already installed.
2. Run in terminal 'sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg' choose autodetect where possible, choose nv driver, choose defaults except for screen resolution - set to 1440x900
3. Reboot ctrl-alt-backspace.
4. Install nvidia binary driver - DO NOT REBOOT YET! Nvidia settings will not run properly at this stage.
5. Go into superuser mode by typing sudo-s in terminal. Enter password.
6. In terminal type gksudo edit and open /etc/x11/xorg.conf.
7. Make one change - In Section "Device" change "nv" to "nvidia". Save file.
8. Reboot ctrl-alt-backspace.
9. In terminal type "sudo nvidia-settings"
10. Set up dual monitor
11. Reboot ctrl-alt-backspace.
12. Bug #58232 will now prevent terminal running. Open Konsole and type "sudo nvidia-xconfig --add-argb-glx-visuals".
13. Reboot - terminal will now work correctly and resolution is correct.

This is the the correction reported in bug #93156 but in more detail.

I did most of the steps except, instead of super user i just went "sudo gedit xorg.conf" since "sudo-s" didn't work or wasn't recognized as a command for some reason. And in "device" my "nv" was already "nvidia" but yeah i rebooted the computer and the resolution didn't go back!

Just one more thing not too sure why this message comes up when i open nvidia settings:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom