Screen Resolution wont stay put

Status
Not open for further replies.

blue4paper

In Runtime
Yeah simply when i put my screen resolution to 1280x1024 (is that right?) after a reboot it reverts back to
800x600 its pretty annoying too. The login screen however is 1280x1024 but as soon as i login 1 second after the screen goes black and back to 800x600. Also my monitor doesn't seem to be in the "screen and graphics " section. My monitor is "BenQ FP71G" and the closes thing in there is "BenQ FP71E" do i need to download drivers for my monitor?

I've tried running the xorg.conf manually in the terminal didn't work. I tried taking out the resolutions and leaving but the one i wanted still didn't work. I'm thinking i need my monitor brand to appear in the screen and graphics then the rest will work fine.

Any ideas?

lol...ok i dont know why, but now my screen resolution stayed at 1280x1024 and i'm dead serious when i say i dont know how. But i would still like to know how to make my monitor brand appear in the screen and graphics section.

Edit: now it went back to 800x600, i have no clue why.

Have you saved your xconf.org (I think that is the name of the file)? That is what saves your settings. You can change your resolution all you want but if you dont save the file with hte new resolution it will always go back to what it has saved as default.

Are you using the nVidia drivers?

Yeah i'm using nvidia 6600. But the real problem at the moment is, on another forum they told me to add a resolution in 1280x1024 but i added 1280x1024@60 (like 60 for refresh rate) now my screen is distorted and it looks like trips. Everything is cloned x4 and i can hardly see my mouse. I might have put in a typo or something, not sure. Anyway to revert back?

I am guessing you didn't save your original Xorg.conf file before you made the changes to your resolution?

The best way in this case is to boot the Ubuntu Live CD
enter the Xorg.conf on the Live CD
copy the Xorg.conf file from the live CD
then copy and paste it into your systems Xorg.conf file

Please remember to backup any orginals of files before you make changes so you can revert back if need be.

Jake

You can reconfigure Xorg (sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg? I'm not sure of the specific command), or you can try reinstalling your video drivers (sudo apt-get remove nvidia-glx/sudo apt-get install nvidia-glx).

I am guessing you didn't save your original Xorg.conf file before you made the changes to your resolution?

The best way in this case is to boot the Ubuntu Live CD
enter the Xorg.conf on the Live CD
copy the Xorg.conf file from the live CD
then copy and paste it into your systems Xorg.conf file

Please remember to backup any orginals of files before you make changes so you can revert back if need be.

For some reason I have to laugh, but this worked for me on a few occasions before I finally stopped monkeying with my machine.

Try setting the HorizSync and VertRefresh in the Monitor sections for both monitors in /etc/X11/xorg.conf, then restart X (Ctrl+Alt+Backspace). Replace the #'s with the values for your monitor.

Code:
Section "Monitor"
        Identifier      "Generic Monitor"
        HorizSync       ##-##
        VertRefresh     ##-##
        Option          "DPMS"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
        Identifier      "Extra Monitor"
        HorizSync       ##-##
        VertRefresh     ##-##
        Option          "DPMS"
EndSection

Remember to always make a backup before making any changes. Any errors will leave you with only a command line.

Since they are nvidia drivers why not use the nvidia control panel??

In the terminal type in nvidia-settings and adjust them there. Jsut make sure to save your settigns before you restart.

well i managed to get my screen back to normal by replacing the xorg.conf with one of the livecd but now I'm back to square one. My screen still doesn't stay with 1280x1024.

I'm just gonna try the nvidia controls, and change resolution from there, but last time that didn't work either, but its always worth another try. If anyone has any other ideas why my screen wont stay at 1280x1024.

Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom