Scared to partition

Status
Not open for further replies.

smagee12

Baseband Member
Im installing Linux for my first time.

Mandriva

What are the safest routes to go so i know i can always restore my current state in windows if somethings goes awry?

Is it logical or possible to use an External HD for linux, and everytime i want to boot linux i just hook up the HD?

If i do partition my HD, then somewhere down the line somethings goes wrong, what are my options then.

What is most likely to occur if something does go wrong?

I already have windows on my HD, i dont have a disk to reinstall.

Thanks everyone who is willing to help

-Sean

You might want to try a live cd of Linux, and gain some knowledge about partitions and the way that Linux partitions drives before you actually do something with the drive.

Live cd's run totally off of the CD rather than installing something. It won't be as in depth as a full install but it will be something to wet the appetite or get the feel.

I can tell you that I have messed up my Windows partition in the past and it is fixable, but it takes time.

Also, Mandriva really is not that hard to install and patition.

Just resize the amount of drive space that you want (use custom partitioning) and then create an ext3 file system or whatever type, and then partition. Then install LILO and the end of the process to the MBR (master boot record).

Don't act on what I just said, if you decide to do the partitioning I/someone else can help you with much more depth. There are also guides on how to do it.

Once you have done it, you will think "hey that wasn't very hard."

Ok bud :D

I have my MAdriva on 3 cds, and im ready to boot up!

Please post a link or tell me my first steps before i restart my comp.

Thanks

-sean

My suggestion is that you put Linux on a separate drive. I know you can partition 1 drive into multiple slices, but its a lot safer to install your XP on say the primary drive and Linux on the secondary drive. Usually GRUB detects your Windows drive, and you have an option to boot to Windows during GRUB loading.

Ok.

You need to boot into the cd. To do this (assuming you don't know how) get into the bios and select "boot from cd." How to do this varies from bios to bios.

Restart the computer with the Linux cd in the drive that you are going to boot from.

It should take you to the installer, then, agree to the things it asks you to agree on.

Eventually you will get to the point where it asks whether it can partition speratley or if you want to do it (custom). Choose custom.

Resize the partition to your likings, it should turn red when you are done and decide to write the ext3 file system (my recommendation).
Just be careful no to take out too much, or the entire disk. I have a 60gb HDD, and I have 18gb for Linux.

It will ask why you don't have a swap, ignore that, your drive should be large enough.

Then it should format to the drive.

After, select the packages and install.

When that is done you go to LILO installer. Make sure you install LILO to the Master Boot Record (MBR) or you won't be able to start Linux.

You will then go to a configuration area. If you have a USB mouse make sure you select "USB" under mouse type. Setup the monitor and the graphics card and make sure to test them, if the don't work continue to edit the settings until they pass the test. If they still don't work select generice (Vesa) devices and we can edit this later.
You do want to boot into X org.

Select time zone's and whatever else needs to be setup.

It prompt you to restart the computer. Do so and then enter the BIOS again, change the boot back to what you had before and then take the CD out.

You should go to a blue screen when you restart again. It should have Linux, Windows, and a few other options.

Boot into Linux.

Edit: Putting Linux on a seperate drive messed with me, so I fixed that using one bigger drive.

You might also want to check for some tutorials online if anything I mentioned was confusing or too far beyond your knowledge base.

I put the CD in before i restarted windows, it asked me if i wanted to install while in WINDOWS?

is this not good practice?

should i just follow your instructions anyway?

Ok, so the first two options i get are

F1 More Options

Enter To upgrade install

So do i just press enter, and go on from there like you said, are you sure all options are going to be there just like you said?

sorry, i just have to ask before i go and do something stupid.

Also, how can i acess the the LILO installer? will it just pop up?

Will there be a problem with the fact that my Windows is on the NTFS
file system?

Ok, it didnt work right off tha bat!

When installing, after i agreed to the liscense agreement it tried to install some ATI driver.

This wasnt successful, and afterwards it claimed that there were no file systems to create?

Whats going on?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom