runlevel command?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NIN

In Runtime
I'm trying to use the runlevel commnad on my fedora core 3 terminal but is says command not found. BTW, I'm studying for the Linux + and want to test everything I read but this is not showing up. the init 1 command won't work either. How do you go into single user mode then?

Thanks,
Tom

it varies a bit from distro to distro, but as root use telinit #, where # is the runlevel you want, be careful though, do not use level 0 or 6

for more details do 'man init' and look at the man page

at the terminal window I type runlevel and it says command not found . I don't know if it is the distro or what. Fedora is a red hat project right? So you would think it would be the same.

You need to be root. press ctrl. alt. f1 to go to true comand line. Then type su root
This will prompt you for root password. type your password. Once logged in as root type su - this will , in a simple way to put it give root its own shell to work from. Then type your runlevel command.
If you are in runlevel 5, It will most likely come back with a 5 3 five for your default runlevel and 3 for the shell your in. To go back to Xwindows type ctrl alt f7

I tried what you said but instead I loged in at the root to begin with because I thought I would have to be it anyway and it worked. But get this, I tried it on a gui terminal session and it worked. If I do it like I have been when you log in as the user and substitute user command like charles said it will give a bad command message. I was under the impresion that there was no limit but I guess there is. This is messed up! maybe I should try debian.

some commands require that you be root and not su to root, changing to debian wont change anything

When I try to change runlevel. example: init 3, it gets hung up and no promt just a cursor. any reason why?

BTW, what shell does debian run, is it bourne agian shell also.

no clue on first question

probably BASH on second, but it doesnt matter cause you can run whatever shell you want with linux, slackware comes with 4 of them and there's a couple more that can be downloaded

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom