root login not working

Status
Not open for further replies.

developer

Baseband Member
I have two comps at my place, one desktop running Windows Xp Professional SP2, on dual boot with SUSE Linux and the other a Laptop running on Windows Xp Home.
Both have a single LAN card each. Initially i used to switch wires to connect to internet or my LAN. This prevented me from being on the net on both the PCs while also having LAN connection between them.
So i purchased a new LAN card, for my desktop. But all slots were occupied. So i needed to exchange some slots to make space for the LAN card, putting the routine components outside the slots.
I got the LAN and net to work on both in Windows, but the problem came when i started Linux.
Firstly the dual boot loader took a lot of time to appear. Then when the login page appeared, i put my root login and password. This made the screen go blank for a fraction of a second and then login screen reappeared. The password and username was not shown as invalid. Then i logged in the console mode with the same username and password. i got entry. Then i started the Yast module. I installed the new LAN card, and assign it the IP etc. But when i restarted the PC the startup failed to initialize the other LAN card. So again i went into console and deleted both LAN cards and reinstalled both.
On restarting i couldnt login as root, but entered as a user. The net worked on the new LAN card, but the LAN wasnt working on the old one. Plus i couldnt get entry as a root.
Moreover Linux now takes a large amount of time to start.
Please help me if possible.

Now even the user login aint workin. Somebody please help fast. The only way to start Linux is in the console. i started YAST but everything seems fine, including startup.

Use a LiveCD, mount the paritions, chroot to it. Afterwards attempt to reinstall Bash.

-Mike

EDIT
After reading what you've said over, the above won't correct your problem, sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom