right kernel?

Status
Not open for further replies.

buzzard34

Baseband Member
hey question...i D/L a kernel from linuxant.org, its 2.6.8 and rite now i have 2.6.5...the D/L kernel is in RPM format, does this mean its safe to install or only for use with the 2.6.8 kernel? I'd like tio know before i do anything rash.:confused:

buzzard34,

Are you sure you downloaded the right kernel?i.e for your distro? If so,

Yeah ,you can install, but make it as an install rather than an upgrade.Cuz when you install, you will have the option of selecting 2 kernels at the boot time.So if the new kernel is not compactible with some hardware or software, you can just uninstall the new kerenel and keep up the system with the old one.

Sign
Codes:)

horndude,

Get the kernel rpm file and install/upgrade it ! :rolleyes:

[You got yourself an avatar :p]

sign
codes:)

I wouldnt trust rpm to put it in the right place and update lilo or grub to point to it, and its still a good idea to compile your own anyway specifically for your hardware

horndude,

Oh okay, I take that advice. But I did once when i used FC1. I had 2.4.22-1.2115. Got the kernel rpm 2.4.22-1.2199. Upgraded the kernel and it worked great.[I mean for normal usage :p] But then i removed it, since my nvidia drivers needs kernel source compilation. So I stayed with the old kernel.

Sign
codes:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom