resolution problems with mepis

Status
Not open for further replies.

jnev_89

Daemon Poster
hey guys,, i just installed simplymepis 3.3 a few days ago, and it's already become my favorite distro i've used so far. i have a problem with the resolution though. my lcd's native resolution is 1280x1024, but mepis only sees the highest resolution as 1024x768. is there any way to fix that? i've tried playing around with my monitor settings in the os center, but that just messes X up and makes me have to reinstall X from the install cd. i tried installing the nvidia driver and that also messed up X. anyone have any other suggestions?

thanks

when you installed the nvidia driver did it compile one from scratch, and did you follow the directions explicitly and completely?

There may be an issue of non support for the higher resolution as well, it happens.

i didn't have to complile anything. i just select the nvidia driver instead of the generic driver and press apply. the last time i did it (when i messed up X) it took about 10 minutes to finish the install. now it's taking well over an hour, so maybe it messed up the 1st time.

you didnt install the nvdia driver from nvidia, you installed the generic nvdia module from X itself Im guessing.The actual nvidia driver for most nvidia based cards these days comes from nvidia's website, and it compiles itself from scratch---->you will know, it also means editing the xconfig file afterwards too.

It may or may not work, dunno, give it a try.

http://www.nvidia.com

yep, you're right. btw, it's still installing, it's been like 8 hours already. guess i'll try the one you gave me.

i downloaded the driver. i *think* i'm supposed to do 'apt-get install' right?

so when i cd the folder where the driver is stored in, and i do the apt-get install it says that the file cannot be found. i know i'm spelling it correctly, ive tried like 10 times already. also, do i have to log out of X when installing it? that's what nvidia's site says. i was only trying it in konsole.

thanks

no, run it as is, its a binary

do this:
sh ./whateveri_its_called
be logged in as root and NOT in X when you do this

all it says is

./: ./: is a directory

also, you said that i'd have to edit the xconfig file. what exactly do i have to edit?

thanks, you're a big help

EDIT

never mind, i was missplelling the file. it says i have to exit X.

ok, i exited X and went to install it, using the command you gave me. it worked until it said that i don't have a kernel source tree. then it said that i need a 'kernel-source' rpm.

i'm lost here

your system doesnt have the kernel source installed, it needs that to generate and compile a driver

its a big file too, about 180mb installed,download or get it off your install disk if its on there, if mepis is worth a damn it will be on there

not sure what pkg manager mepis uses, I think its debian based using "apt get", dunno

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom