resetting ubuntu

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jayce I am sorry if I offended you, I really appreciate your altruism by trying to help me. We are both veteran members and undoubtedly helped 100's of people in our time for little reward so I can sympathise if your offended by my comments but they were not meant in that manner.

I do not have access to; optical drive, flash drive or the most recent version of ubuntu and as far as I can tell the ways you have detailed require these items. I just want to get non-default packages off of this machine through internal user measures as opposed to a fresh install etc.

I know extended support versions of ubuntu exist but that doesn't negate the point, they managed to; write the code, alpha test normally 2-3 version builds minimum, fix the code, private beta test, fix the code, public beta test, fix the code and finally release the next version. They do that in 6 months are they on pro plus and chained to their desks? I don't like ubuntu as I believe that although they do make some changes most are minor that could be done through a patch, this keeps their download figures artificially high. I have tried a lot of linux distros in the past few years and ubuntu is just one I dislike but as I am stuck with it forced to use.

I am sorry that you find Ubuntu to not be... *ahem*... "up to par" with your standards. However, it's unusually high popularity speaks to the contrary. I am failing to understand why their LTS's are any different than say, XP to Vista to 7 etc. It's an LTS. It comes out years apart. This is ideal for large deployments. Ideal for businesses, schools, etc... because you are indeed right, most 6 month releases offer minor updates.

I do hope you find a distro that you like.

Good luck.

I have found several distros I like for the past year or so its been Maryan which is an E17 based linux that was originally going to be E17 linux mint but mint pulled their support leaving it to become an OS in its own right.

Atm I have converted ubuntu to a E17 mac themed machine but these are just cosmetic changes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom