resetting ubuntu

Status
Not open for further replies.

saltynay

Patron
I am stuck on ubuntu as my optical drive on my laptop broke and I still haven't got around to fixing my desktops (exams/ parties/ nice weather). I want to get all the non-default programs off of it in one foul swoop how do I do this?

I am not entirely sure, but I am thinking you have to switch to the /usr/bin directory, and from there I would think you could copy over those programs that are not the default ones, but it seems like a bit of work and also I am not sure that it would work quite as simply as that. I hope you can get this resolved, though, Salty.

I've never tried this, but I was told about this little trick one time.

Open Synaptic Package Manager.
System-Administration-Synaptic Package Manager.

File - Save Markings. Save it to a flash drive or whatever else outside of your computer.

From what I understand, this just checks the entire repository base on your system to see what's marked as installed. Afterwards, if you go into Synaptic and check File - Read Markings, you should be able to import the checked programs over. Then you should be able to hit apply and download all of the currently installed applications from there.

Again, I haven't tried this, but I read about it a month ago.

I don't have a flash drive, I do however have linux on my ipod mini which I use as a flash drive but never tried it with ubuntu and its not to hand. Old skool you seemed to of followed what I am saying but I think jayce may have the opposite idea to what I want to do. I have looked in synaptic a couple of times for a helpful tool and default programs are marked but that is a LONG list of packages to read through. I just want to get all the rubbish off and keep my personal settings. I reinstall ubuntu as this will 1) wipe the settings 2) the disk drive on this comp is broken.

All settings are stored in your home directory. All of the settings in particular are in hidden folders (CTRL + H to view hidden folders). This is where your settings are for all of your applications.

I synchronize my entire home directory to another drive of equal size in my computer. Two months ago my main drive crashed. I reinstalled Ubuntu and copied my backup data (hidden folders and all) from my backup drive to my main drive in my home directory. When I rebooted, I had my desktop background back, all of my personal pidgin settings, thunderbird, firefox, etc. Everything is stored in there.

If you want to simply back up personal data and NOTHING else, then just select your personal data folders - I'm throwing out a common example: Music, Videos, Pictures, Documents. That way when you bring your data back over, all you're bringing is Music, Videos, Pictures, and Documents. You wouldn't be bringing any hidden folders which contain your personal settings for your applications.

I strongly advise in the future when setting up Ubuntu that you split your root ( / ) and home directories onto separate partitions. I partition my drive out so I have 20gb for root ( / ) and the remainder (upwards of 400gb) to my home directory. Why is this beneficial? Ubuntu releases a new version every 6 months. Some people may think it's a pain to reinstall every 6 months, but it's actually not at all if you take the proper steps (i.e. partitioning your hard drive to root + home). If you upgrade to a newer version of Ubuntu, just make sure you mount the proper directories (root and home) to the proper partitions and DO NOT check "format" under your home directory's partition. That way when Ubuntu finishes installing and you boot up for the first time, your music, pictures, etc is already there.

Keep in mind, your home directory houses your personal SETTINGS, but the root partition is what houses the actual applications. So if you do this, you will still need to install your applications, however your personal settings (some of which may be for those same applications) are there and will be matched up after the program's existence is present. Make sense?

Oh it makes sense but
1) I quite dislike ubuntu in the first place so if I was able to install an OS I would but it would not be ubuntu as I see it a company cannot make critical worthwhile changes to a OS in just 6 months and go through the entire development process.
2) This is an old laptop it has 40gb of hdd space so having a partition exclusively for root is a

I rally appreciate your help but your over complicating the problem.

Oh it makes sense but
1) I quite dislike ubuntu in the first place so if I was able to install an OS I would but it would not be ubuntu as I see it a company cannot make critical worthwhile changes to a OS in just 6 months and go through the entire development process.
2) This is an old laptop it has 40gb of hdd space so having a partition exclusively for root is a

I rally appreciate your help but your over complicating the problem.

I'm complicating the problem? I'm sorry that I was taking time out of my saturday to try and help your issue.

But since I'm such a ****ing nice guy, I figured I'd inform you of this. Ubuntu also has LTS (Long Term Support) releases which are supported for much longer than the 6 month releases. Currently the LTS is 8.04, which was released April of 2008 (hence 8.04... 2008, 04 - month) and is supported until April 2011, to which a newer LTS will be released.

Copied directly from Ubuntu's site in the download section:

- Ubuntu 9.04 Desktop (the latest version): Includes the latest enhancements and is maintained until 2010
- Ubuntu 8.04 LTS Desktop: Released April 2008 and maintained until April 2011 – ideal for large deployments.

Have a great day.

Jayce I am sorry if I offended you, I really appreciate your altruism by trying to help me. We are both veteran members and undoubtedly helped 100's of people in our time for little reward so I can sympathise if your offended by my comments but they were not meant in that manner.

I do not have access to; optical drive, flash drive or the most recent version of ubuntu and as far as I can tell the ways you have detailed require these items. I just want to get non-default packages off of this machine through internal user measures as opposed to a fresh install etc.

I know extended support versions of ubuntu exist but that doesn't negate the point, they managed to; write the code, alpha test normally 2-3 version builds minimum, fix the code, private beta test, fix the code, public beta test, fix the code and finally release the next version. They do that in 6 months are they on pro plus and chained to their desks? I don't like ubuntu as I believe that although they do make some changes most are minor that could be done through a patch, this keeps their download figures artificially high. I have tried a lot of linux distros in the past few years and ubuntu is just one I dislike but as I am stuck with it forced to use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom