Replacing Windows 7 with Ubuntu

Status
Not open for further replies.
Couple things:

Your Intel Atom is not doing double duty with dual booting, which made me think that's the impression you were under since you made the comment "However, this is killing the notebook since it's only a small 1.something GhZ thing, so I want to remove Windows." The processor is only handling one operating system at a time since you're only using one operating system at a time, whereas if you were virtualizing, you'd be doing double duty in that case.

An Intel Atom processor is extremely, extremely underpowered. While Ubuntu Unity 2D works decent on some older systems, I felt as though my Intel Atom netbook was lagging a bit under it.

I don't suggest you distro hop. Distro hopping for the soul purpose of finding a "lighter" version doesn't quite equal 4 when you take 2+2, because you can install alternative desktop environments right there on Ubuntu and use them instead. For example, Lubuntu, which is Ubuntu packaged with the LXDE desktop environment (instead of Unity like Ubuntu has) is significantly lighter when it comes to graphic and processor resources that it needs to function. You can install LXDE just by installing "Lubuntu Desktop" from the Software Center, or running sudo apt-get install lubuntu-desktop at the terminal. It'll look a little more old school, but to be quite honest, you're rather limited being on an Intel Atom. Personally, I love how low powered the Atom is because it ensures I get better battery life, and Lubuntu is a good item to combine with it.

There ARE other distros that are lighter, though... But I think Lubuntu is light while looking half decent, whereas other distros, like DSL (Damn Small Linux) or Puppy Linux, are SUPER light but aren't all that modern looking. The advantage to LXDE + Ubuntu is you can try it, right now, without uninstalling. However, if you want to remove Windows, reinstalling might be easiest. Just make sure you select "Remove Windows and install Ubuntu" during the partitioning menu.

Kudos to giving it a try and wanting to make the jump. Linux is an incredible platform, but it takes patience to understand its differences from Windows. Think slow, ask questions, and you'll be fine. ;)

I second the use of a lighter desktop replacement.. LXDE / Lubuntu are fantastic. I also recommend using something like Linux Mint 12 LXDE. It's slightly different than Ubuntu, but some say it's more beginner friendly. One of my favorite distros for my old netbook, along with the (almost too) simple Mint Fluxbox.

I used Xubuntu exclusively in the past. But that was like 7 years ago... LXDE is a nice light distro for the very novice. I put Mint LXDE on my great aunt's computer, and she is loving it. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom