Removing Linux Partition?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ADZ

Fully Optimized
my 120 Gig HDD has been devided into 2, one running XP, the other running Fedora.

What is the best way that I can remove Fedora on my computer and NOT lose my XP data? and make the 120 gig fully usable?

Cheers.

By the way. I do wish to continue using Linux, i am making a linux box for myself.

I have finally had the time to remove Linux. What I want to know is if i can just use partition magic to remove the linux partition and then make the C (XP) to use the full part of the drive?

Yes you can. Just start up partition magic, click the partition that you want to format and then use the option to extend your primary drive...

Personally, with that much space, I would make a seperate drive for "stuff" unless you have a specific reason to have everything on one drive.

thats a good idea! I never really thought of that. I usually just back my data up over onto my firewall over network.

UPDATE - I have removed the partition and now when I start the computer up, it will not go into windows. It will load 'GRUB'?????WTF is grub!?!

Start your computer with a Windows boot disk. If using a 98 boot disk, get to the command prompt and type 'fdisk /mbr' . If you are using a 2000 disk (set) or CD, you can get into the recovery console, once in there, at the prompt you can type 'fixmbr'.

That should take care of it in any case.

thanks Guy. So what exactly is grub and why did it take over my computer (these are dumb questions i know...but i am curious)

and will i be able to boot into XP after that?

Grub is a linux boot loader. It acts as the boot.ini file for linux (basically). There is also LiLo, which does basically the same thing. (It stands for Linux Loader -- I think).

It takes it over because... well I don't know why, :) it just does.

Yes, after you do the fdisk /mbr or fixmbr, you should boot right into Windows.

The boot loader is unbias. You really have to work to get MS's boot loader to see a Linux partition (if at all). Lilo and Grub are fully chustomizeable for what you want, all politics aside. That's why you always want to install Win first the Linux so Linux overrites the default Win boot loader.

And putting all your crap on a seperate "storage" drive is a great idea. I started doing this when I got my SATA 120 gig and now I don't worry about my crappy Win OS diving on me. All my important data is still there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom