Removing GRUB loader

Status
Not open for further replies.

35g700

rustle rustle
I recently deleted Ubuntu from my computer and now I cannot boot to window vista because of the grub loader. Is there a way I can remove from this Ubuntu 8.10 live CD?

Were you running ubuntu on the same drive, different partition or on a separate drive there?

The reason I ask was from seeing the ubuntu installer trashing the Vista mbr on a reinstall lately to a separate ide drive while Vista is on a sata model. The solution here besides the reference in the wiki there was to boot upto the repair tools and use the command prompt option if no Vista installations are displayed at first.

If you run into that the first step is unplugging the drive ubuntu is on followed by entering the "bootrec /scanos" command at the prompt. That should then scan and list the current Windows installation and ask if you want to add it. Answer Y for yes and wait for the "successfully added" message before proceeding with the "bootrec /fixmbr" and "bootrec /fixboot" commands to see the mbr and boot information repaired.

Note this was after having seen the "Grub 22 error" come up while trying to boot from the Vista drive. Once corrected ubuntu was then added into the Vista BCD to see it load properly when selected. If you lack the Vista dvd or a dvd drive the recovery disk image there can be burned onto a cd-r for booting with a cd drive being only 120.5mb in size.

Ubuntu was on a diffrent partition and I removed it after I was getting disk errors.

I tried the Vista CD one but I can't do that one because my drive is bad so I will try the easy BCD.

EDIT: I Guess I can't do anything untill I get a new drive

That will mean a totally fresh clean install of Windows and programs but will solve the boot problem fast enough. At least if you decide to dual boot again later you will have a reference to go by.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom