Redhat 9 printing problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mar6

Baseband Member
Hello.

I installed Redhat linux 9.

But now i have a problem.
I cant print with my deckjet 610c printer.
I tested it with win98 and printer worked when i printed from wordpad, but when i try to print from openoffice then printer icon comes to taskbar in one second and thats all, nothing happens.

I have tried with all the openoffice versions, but still the same problem.

It is a old printer and mayby i cant use it with redhat 9, but are there
any other sheaper printers that works with redhat9 and openoffice?

If i could solve this problem, then i would be very happy with linux, but if i dont get this to work then i think that i must start using windows again.

And i also have problems with my USB memory stick. (Agenie pro)
Redhat does not accepts it :(

I hope that someone can help. (Have got much help from this forum before):)

RH9 is quite old now, if you need RH in particular, you should upgrade to Fedora Core 4. USB memory sticks weren't that common when RH9 was about. As far as your deskjet goes, the more recent version of CUPS has full support for HP printers, HP actually supplies linux drivers to major distros.

hope this helps :D

coops563 said:
RH9 is quite old now, if you need RH in particular, you should upgrade to Fedora Core 4. USB memory sticks weren't that common when RH9 was about. As far as your deskjet goes, the more recent version of CUPS has full support for HP printers, HP actually supplies linux drivers to major distros.

hope this helps :D

Thanks.

I think i try some other linux then:confused:

Hold it, hold it. Before you switch, I hope you read this.

The USB drive problem can be solved quite easily by editing /etc/fstab and adding an entry to allow a USB based drive. When you insert it, all you have to do is mount it.

As for the printer, have you checked http://linuxprinting.org? You can update to a newer version of CUPS without getting an entirely new OS. Updating to FC4, which IMHO is far inferior, is uncecessary.

Hey Man,

Are you new to Linux? if you are then I wouldn't try what macdude is suggesting, it can be quite daunting for someone new to Linux to go fiddling with the Files in Linux,

I'd Also Suggest you try Another Distro, Mandrake/Mandriva has exelent H/W detection, ie. printer would be detected easy

Do A google to find the Closest D/L mirror to you,

hope this helps,

Jake

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom