RED HAT or MANDRAKE? What is good for a n00bi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harper

"I FEEL SO GOOD I FEEL SO NUMB, YEAH!!!"
As soon as my get my Screw-Around Computer back, I will be installing Linux on it.

The Spec is
AMD Duron 1300
256Mb DDR
MSI All-In-One Motherboard
- SiS Chips Set
- Realtech 10/100
40 Gb Hard Drive

What is the better OS for a n00bi like me. :D

I would say Mandrake is the best for ‘learning linux’, but to be honest Redhat 9 is pretty simple as well.

I started with Mandrake and i found it quite easy to learn... I think you should start with Mandrake. Also it is very easy to install.

Redhat or mandrake...blah

I woudlnt' recommmend redhat or mandrake for a newby..blah..rpms... Try looking into knoppix (bootble distro right off the cd) or slackware..mmmmmm slack... But idk...i never tried redhat but with mandrake i ran into a problem well it would freeze and lockup at booting while saying "finding depences" so..yeah heh

Knoppix is a great "n00b" distro. It has a huge amount packed into one directly bootable CD (with amazing hardware support too). All you do to install it to the hard drive is go into the root terminal and type "knoppix-installer". Then use the appropriate option to configure it for partitions, etc. Part of what makes it good is its Application Grabber. It's very easy to appreciate that. :) (what other distros have that, by the way).

On the other hand, I've heard excellent things about both Mandrake and Redhat. I can't exactly say that I've had experience with Mandrake 9 (had a problem with my laptop's graphics processor) but I did like what I saw of its installer :laughing: Redhat is nice because it comes with so many packages that you can really just install it and have a very functional system. (very good idea to choose "custom" so you can install the programs that you want...if you do so, and you have room on your hard drive and want to experiment...get X Desktop, KDE, AND Gnome). I can't exactly testify whether Mandrake has packages to a similar extent or not.

By the way, petogaz, that avatar is amazing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom