Red Hat 9 ISO burn

Status
Not open for further replies.
I May be wrong, but i think you have to install microsoft on top of linux, instead of the other way around. as for your user name... it should be your name. when you did the install, it asked u for ur name. watever u entered should work. but watch out for those caps.

but if linux is on one HD, and Windows on the other, why won't anything work if i unplug my second (Linux) HD?

first off, your second hard drive is a slave drive and i don't think you can boot from a slave drive. so, when you select DOS, it says chainloader +1 aand nothing happens? that's weird. how long did you wait? if you waited 5 minutes and nothing happenned, go to Linux, create a boot disk and then use a Windows 98 boot disk to go to DOS and fix your master boot reccord by typing fixmbr.

now to your second question (or first one actually), the username you first use is root which is the administrator user and it is not suggested you use it as a security issue. but for the first time since you probably didn't setup a normal user, login to root with ROOT as username and your password and add a user. there's plenty of help online on how to do that. then logoff the root user and logon o your new username and always use that.

let me know how it went.

thanks subdivision, the username "root" got me into Red Hat. now my problem, there is always one, is that Red Hat won't recognize my ethernet connection. I tried installing my ASUS start-up cd, but i don't think that that did anything. i tried setting up a connection, with no success. even on the backplate of my mobo, the little light on the ethernet port doesn't light up when i plug the ethernet cable it, which it should when something is plugged into it.

does your mobo have the 2 ethernet connections? my brother has the almost excact sdame board and i know he's got 2 ethernet connections...if it does, use the second one....if not do a google search for it, i think he found it on there somewhere...good luck :)

hmm, my brother got (i think) the bottom one working just plug & play pretty much, are you on a router that issues something like 192.129.169.100 or something like that ip addresses? if so you could try /sbin/ifup eth0 192.168.129.101 or something, see if that works..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom