Red Hat 9 ISO burn

Status
Not open for further replies.

TeLeMuNdO!

In Runtime
i'm trying to burn the Red Hat 9 ISO folders, i downloaded here http://www.linuxiso.org/distro.php?distro=7, in Nero, but it's not working. this is my first time trying to burn an ISO, and i'm probably doing something wrong. whenever it asks me to select my ISO file, what do i select? i search through all the folders of the downloaded ISOs, but i can't find any compatible files. I thought i would just select the whole folder and burn it to a cd, but that doesn't work. can somebody help me out?

folders? no, ISO's are files such as this-is-a-file.iso. you need to download the ISO file and burn it on CD.

well, i downloaded those 3 disks in the link, and each one of them is like a winRAR archive...did i download the wrong thing?

What's inside the winRAR archive? Hopefully, it is a file that has .iso for an extension. Then in Nero, when burning, select disc image.

i burned just the unzipped file, and that appeares to be working. when i unzipped it, it was a bunch of files and folders....

yea, WinRar can open ISO files so you can view its contents. but you did right. you burn the ISO file as one. have fun using Linux!

Yea Red hat nine is 3 disks, so three different ISO files. Even though that file may look like a WINRAR file, it's just cause WINRAR can open it. But nero should recognize the file as an ISO. SO just run NERO, and select the option "Burn CD from ISO image" this will unzip the files automatically, and write them to a CD. But there are 3 CDs, just make sure u label which one is which. Red Hat is fun, but different in it's file system. But if you use it for a while, you will understand it. I am planning on installing LINDOWS, which is another Linux based operating system. And if you enjoy linux, then search on google for PHLAK. its a linux based OS that runs off the CD. it's really cool. Check it out.

well, i wouldn't suggest Lindows at all and if you want a good Linux off-the-CD flavor, go with Knoppix. let's try not to repeat stuff though ok?

well, installed Red Hat 9 and the installation went very smoothly, but then i hit a problem. when i booted up, it requested my user name and password. i remember it setting up some type of password in the installation, but never a user name. i tried just making up a user name and using the password i chose during installation, but that didn't work (invalid password or user name error message). does anybody know any way around this, or how to fix it? i can't even do anything without having to input a user name and password.

also, during the install, i chose to install Linux on one of my two hard drives. but when the dual boot screen comes up, it just lists Red Hat and DOS. all DOS says when i choose to load it is:

'Booting DOS:'

rootnovify (hd0,0)

chainloader+1

then it just does nothing, nothing loads, that is it. i'm pretty sure Linux is booting on (hd1,0), which i'm guessing is my second hard drive. whenever i unplug my second hard drive, which is slaved to my first, nothing loads, not even BIOS, just my ASUS mobo start up screen. does anybody know what is going on here? i have XP professional on my master hard drive, and i'd really like to be able to access it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom