RAID question - Linux

Status
Not open for further replies.

MindoverMaster

Golden Master
I have 2 x 640GB WD drives on my home file server. They are formatted to UFS. I only really ever use one of them. And I thought, why not put them in a RAID1?

Then I think, I'm going to have to get the data off of there, or I'm going to lose the data, right? It's not regrading (SP? replacing existing bad drive) it.

I do have a 1.5TB drive that I can back it up to, but if there is a way to do this...

Does software RAID and hardware RAID both do the above?

Besides, UFS is a BSD file system. I'm not sure how far support stretches from Linux to support UFS.

How are you planning to set up RAID? Are you going to use MDADM?

Sorry I didn't reply sooner. I already created the RAID1, used MDADM, with EXT4, formatted, mounted, shared via SAMBA.

For some odd reason it wouldn't connect, but a restart did it. *shrug*

A restart did what, allowed the shared folder to work? Did you restart the samba service? That could have been it.

I have the same setup you do, it seems. I'm running MDADM RAID1 on two machines. My home desktop and my file server. Once I get moved out, I'm going to put an HDMI graphics card in the file server, install XBMC on it, and set my account to auto login + XBMC to auto launch. That way I just have a HTPC "wrapper" on top of my already existent (and RAID-ed) file server.

Should be pretty bamf.

Yeah, well, at least I got it going. I had to reinstall Ubuntu, because it was just f'ing up. *shrugs* Works now...

Oh, nevermind... Decided just to use W7 HP on it. Easier than Ubuntu, and guess what, it works fine.

I'm not even sure what the problem was... I didn't really get what you were even trying to do in the posts above. That said, I'm sure Ubuntu would have worked fine as well. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom