Qubes OS - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Linux and Open Source
Click Here to Login

Old 02-25-2018, 04:22 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Question Qubes OS

"The user environment for Qubes OS could be Fedora, Debian, Whoix, and Windows."

What exactly does this mean? I have a MacBook Pro that I use for all my sensitive stuff and Qubes OS sounds intriguing but since there are no Apple drivers for Linux I've never thought much further but I would prefer to use a secure Linux distro for the obvious reasons.

Apple MacBook is listed on Qubes website as being compatible. Since Qubes seems to be a hypervisor, does this mean I can install Windows on top of it which has Apple drivers? Or is this just like any other distro of Linux?

Old 02-25-2018, 09:03 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Qubes OS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dgeneration View Post
"The user environment for Qubes OS could be Fedora, Debian, Whoix, and Windows."

What exactly does this mean? I have a MacBook Pro that I use for all my sensitive stuff and Qubes OS sounds intriguing but since there are no Apple drivers for Linux I've never thought much further but I would prefer to use a secure Linux distro for the obvious reasons.

Apple MacBook is listed on Qubes website as being compatible. Since Qubes seems to be a hypervisor, does this mean I can install Windows on top of it which has Apple drivers? Or is this just like any other distro of Linux?
It's basically like any regular Linux desktop OS, just uses linux containers to separate things out (so the network stack can't talk to anything BUT the networking stack, etc). basically jails all the parts of the OS so they can't talk to much or even have the possibility of talking to systems it shouldn't be.
Battle.net: iFargle #1561 || Steam/Origin: iFargle
iFargle is offline   Reply With Quote