Problem mapping to my server...

Status
Not open for further replies.

smcbryde

Beta member
I've set up a home network for application development. I'm trying to map drives from my server to my computer, but I can't get it to work. I'll try to be as complete as possible in describing my network and anything that might be relevant.

Home network with a configuration as follows:

router (name: mynetwork.net)-->
-->Internet (cable)
-->computer1 (vista)
-->hub-->
----->computer2 (xp/sp3)
----->server (ubuntu 8.04, LAMP, ColdFusion, name: myserver)

computers 1 and 2 have DHCP issued ip addresses
server has static ip address: 192.168.0.110

When logged into the router firmware, both computers are listed under "LAN Computers", but the server is not shown.

I have no problem accessing the server using Webmin or phpmyadmin, and the web server works fine using its ip address: http://192.168.0.110, but NOT using the name: http://myserver.

I need to map drives from the server to computer2 ("/var/www" & "/opt/coldfusion8").

But when I try:

1. The server isn't shown under the browse button.
2. If I type anything like "192.168.0.110" or "\\myserver" or "mynetwork.net/myserver" or any combination I could think of, I get this message: "The drive could not be mapped because no network was found."

If I Run: \\192.168.0.110, I get this message: "No network provider accepted the given network path."

The Workstation service is set to "automatic" and is shown as "started".

Any insights would be very much appreciated, as I really need this to work.

Shane McBryde

PS. Do I need to be running a file server in order to map to it?

I've run across mention of SMB and smb.conf in connection with mapping, which seems to be associated with Samba. Do I need a file server on my server in order to map to it?

wikipedia on SMB: Server Message Block - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

States the following:

"In computer networking, Server Message Block (SMB) operates as an application-layer network protocol mainly used to provide shared access to files, printers, serial ports, and miscellaneous communications between nodes on a network."

And Ubuntu help on SettingUpSamba: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SettingUpSamba

Opening statement reads in part:

"Samba is a set of tools to share files and printers with computers running Microsoft Windows. It implements the SMB network protocol, which is the heart of Windows networking."

So, in order to set up mapping between a Windows enviroment and an Ubuntu server, I would need Samba installed?

That's a question, by the way...

Shane

Yes, you need samba set up (see smb.conf for it's configuration). May I suggest that you don't share out development areas though, instead develop on your local PC using a tool such as xampp then ftp or sftp the files onto the server when you are done.

Thanks for the confirmation, kmote.

I was in fact using my local PC with a WAMP installation for Flex, etc. development, but then when I added ColdFusion to the mix my system just couldn't handle it all. So that's when I decided to off-load all of the server stuff onto a separate machine. No one else will be using it so it shouldn't pose any risk as far as I can see.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom