Preconfigured Linux with Samba

Status
Not open for further replies.

volvaluer

Beta member
I am interested in purchasing preconfigured linux software with samba. I want to network 2 windows xp pro computers and share 4 directories with about 10 gigs of data. Is there a vendor that sells an already configured software package?

Re: Network to windows....

This thread is really old, next time you should start a new one.

But yeah, you don't ever need to buy anything that has to do with Linux (unless you're running a business, maybe). Most of it is free. What exactly are you trying to do? A central Linux server?

If you are talking about a VM package I might be able to help there.

Can you give a little more detail about your ultimate goal?

I have 6 computers in my house. 2 laptops, 4 desktops. My desktop runs on Ubuntu Linux 247. I set up a samba share, and now I have a 250gb SATA drive in my desktop that is shared 4 ways on the network.

Curt
Tyler
Pam
Jason

Each user has a username/password to log into their share. Along with it being password protected, each user can only get into their specific share only. AKA, curt can't get into tyler's stuff. Also, each user gets access to my shared drive by typing in my IP address in the run box. So if they do a \\192.168.1.101, they get prompted for username/password and log in. Once they log in, a dialog box pops up with their stuff in it.

I set this up to prevent data loss since my brother was having constant BSOD's that were a pain to deal with.

Samba is actually really easy. It's just a central text file that controls the configurations of everything. Think of it like your control panel. You just need to create users and adjust the file accordingly.

Does this sound like your goal?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom