PLZ help a Linux n00b out!

Status
Not open for further replies.

synergy

Fully Optimized
So I decided to dual boot my PC. WinXP pro was already installed. I used Partition Magic to create a Linux partition and then I successfully installed Red Hat 9. However, now I have no way of booting back into Windows. During the Linux install it gave me the option of selecting or adding operating systems to boot to. Other than Linux, the only other one was DOS. When I select DOS to boot to I get this error message.

Booting 'DOS'
root noverify (hd0,4)
chainloader +1

and it just hangs. If I boot into Red Hat everything loads up fine. I'm pretty positive that I installed on the new partition and didn't write over the Windows install.

Specs on this machine (if it helps) are:
P4 2.4 HT
120GB IDE HDD
1024MB DDR 400
Award BIOS on Asus P4S800 mobo

Any help is appreciated.

Well, I believe the first problem is that you used partioning software. Don't do that, let linux select what you want.

So now, boot from the XP CD and delete the Linux partition (not the windows). If you can get back into XP, then reinstall Linux and don't use partition magic, just let Linux pick it's partition's in the setup process.

on a xp recovery console 'fix mbr' and it will go back to winblow boot loader. Then, to install linux, let disk druid partition. It should work. Why are you using red hat anyway?

cuz it's all i had. I'm d/l Ubuntu right now and I will install that instead. When I do the fixboot and fixmbr, it will still leave that partition on the drive correct? Thnx for the help.

Yes, typing "fix mbr" will only replace the master boot record. It leaves your partitions alone.

IMO, if you're new to linux, you might want to try Mandriva or Fedora. These distros are more geared towards people who are new to Linux.

there is no reason for you to uninstall the linux system, and there is no reason you can't use partitions created with PM. all you have to do is make sure there is a proper boot option for the windows partition. but just selecting "boot dos" is NOT enough! you must make sure you specify which partition said (p)OS is on. in lilo i can help you quite easily, should you need it, if you are using GRUB, either look it up with google, or, failing that, ask and im sure i can get you the config info

Please people, dont have others wipe out their partitions for no good reason. and BTW, fixmbr will only restore the 'doze MBR, you wont be able to boot linux.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom