Planning to try Ubuntu.

Status
Not open for further replies.

peterhuang913

Retired.
I plan to install Ubuntu on a spare rig of mines. I requested the CD from them already. I assume I'm smart enough to get past the installation, but what's after. I'm thinking I would need to install drivers. Where do I find them? I've seen people mention a command line style of work, how is that like? Any info is appreciated. I am now going over their documentation.

Unless you use wireless, Ubuntu should support most of your hardware "out of the box" without you having to download any drivers. After you insert the CD it will boot a graphical interface with an icon to install. From here it's pretty straightforward.

Anyone who has been using Linux for more than a month will tell you that the command line is king. Once you know your way around it it can save you time and effort. Ubuntu is user friendly enough to allow you to use GUIs for most of the set up process and daily usage, so you've got time to ease into the terminal.

i've been thinking of giving ubuntu another go.. but i've failed so many times cuz of video drive issues that i gave up...

i have an 8800gtx and have no idea if it would work or not.. same goes for my audigy 2zs platinum.. no idea if it would work or not

and peter.. no idea you lived in la, i'm a 15 min drive away!!! how old are you by the way.. no idea so many people on these forums lived close to me.. (well i think like 3.. haha)

Ubuntu is good for Linux Newbies and its desktop is really nice, however I do prefer Redhat distros.

Unless you use wireless, Ubuntu should support most of your hardware "out of the box" without you having to download any drivers.
My wireless worked right out of the box =D. Only thing I had to get drivers for was for the special effects w/ my nVidia card.

Thanks for the replies guys. Ubuntu will probaly support my PIII out of the box. Can someone expand on the command line part?

In Linux, its called the Terminal. If you want to install programs that aren't available through the Package Manager or the Add Program dialog, then you'll have to manually download/install the files yourself. Usually they include instructions on how to do it...if not there's tons of guides out there (I'm still learning how to use the terminal..so it's kinda hard for me right now xD).

If you're talking about compiling programs from source, it usually goes something like this:
Code:
./configure
make
make install
or if you want to compile the program and install it as a .deb package so you can later remove it, then you can replace "make install" with "checkinstall." Checkinstall is a separate program so you'll need to install it first (it's apt-gettable).

My experience with Ubuntu has been good. It's really nice to be able to grab packages and stuff and actually have that solve a problem or fill voids.
The one issue was when I upgraded to 7.10, it didn't support my ATI card like on the previous version. Eventually me messing around enough screwed the X-windows output so I reverted to a lower version.
I got Ubuntu running on a old HP Pavillion, 384mb of ram and a 900mhz amd processor. It doesn't run super slow. Things like opening a bunch of firefox tabs will bog firefox down, not the rest of the system if I change focus. Streaming audio, network audio and local audio plays fine. Local video plays fine as well. Streaming video in a standalone player is ok. Youtube and other flash players give me terrible frame rates tho.

I plan to install Ubuntu on a spare rig of mines. I requested the CD from them already. I assume I'm smart enough to get past the installation, but what's after. I'm thinking I would need to install drivers. Where do I find them? I've seen people mention a command line style of work, how is that like? Any info is appreciated. I am now going over their documentation.
most of the advises are given but...
When you are well versed with Ubuntu, try PClinuxOS.. (KDE version).... It really rocks..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom