Permissions Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

trekkie00

In Runtime
I just installed Ubuntu Linux a few days ago. In order to get it installed correctly, I removed the cables to one of my hard drives. I reattached it and got it to mount when the system starts up. However, unless I'm a superuser, it won't allow me to do anything with the folder except read it.

I logged in as an admin and tried to change the owner and group, but it comes up with an error saying it can't be changed. I then try to change the individual permissions below that, but they unselect themselves. I tried doing "sudo chmod 777 /(folder)", but it doesn't seem to have any effect. Does anyone know what I should try next?

Create a directory call Windows in the /mnt directory call it whatever, I'll just use windows as my example

Go to /etc directory and edit the fstab file with the following, make sure to leave a line after the last one. Then just type mount /dev/sdb5 in the terminal. sdb5 would be my example, you need to enter the correct one. If you want it to mount automatically ever time the OS is started, remove the noauto,

/dev/sdb5 /mnt/windows vfat noauto,rw,users,umask=000 0 0

Thanks, I've gotten it working great now. I had edited fstab, but just put "default" instead of the whole "rw,users,umask=000".

Now I know where to come if I have questions about all this. I've been a "happy" Windows user for the past ten years, so all the command line stuff is pretty odd to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom