PC Linux OS and windows

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hampton

Yee Ol' Salt
I was thinking about taking this for a spin and wanted to know what I need to look for when installing along side windows, I've never used linux, but I heard problems with Grub and BCD, is this the case here?.. is it more compatable with windows software then Ubuntu?

thx for any info

I was thinking about taking this for a spin and wanted to know what I need to look for when installing along side windows, I've never used linux, but I heard problems with Grub and BCD, is this the case here?.. is it more compatable with windows software then Ubuntu?

thx for any info

No, because at the core its still a Linux Kernel. Programs like Wine can help with running Windows apps under Linux though. And Ubuntu does a good (relatively good, definitely NOT great job) of hardware detection these days. They are making improvements, but they still have a ways to go in that area.

There's nothing to it as long as you install windows first and remember not to allow windows to take up the whole disk. When you are done installing windows, install linux and you should see both both OS on the grub when you boot up. You will probably find that the linux install becomes the default OS - this is probably not what you want and grub can be easily configured to reflect that later.

Also, if you want more advice on partition setups, sizes and filesystems, post back in this thread with your HDD details and intended use for the machine.

And Ubuntu does a good (relatively good, definitely NOT great job) of hardware detection these days. They are making improvements, but they still have a ways to go in that area.

Not to go off topic, but uh... Have you used Ubuntu in the last 2 years? I know it's not perfect but holy **** they've come a long way since. Moreso than what I would ever rate "good."

Hampton - I assume by BCD you're referring to the Vista boot loader. I dual boot Ubuntu and Vista and I've had no issues - HOWEVER I always install Linux last, and Windows first. Things just work out easier that way.

EDIT - Hey, Hampton... what's your intention with Linux? Do you want to use it just to learn it and try it out? Or do you want to have it as an entirely alternative OS? I'm questioning this because I wonder if your situation would make more sense to install Linux virtually, under say VirtualBox (free virtualizing program). That way you could learn it more and run it virtually without making any changes to your main disk. It can be tricky to set up, but it may be simpler in the long run if your intentions are relatively basic (non video intensive, etc). Just a thought to consider.

Actualkly, even easier would be a livecd and a usb thumbdrive.

And yha Ubuntu is jusgt as good as windows for hardware detection..

You take some, you give some. I've had Windows pick up hardware that Ubuntu requires tweaking to run. +1 to Windows. Yet 2 nights ago I spent 5 hours trying to track down all of the XP drivers for my laptop to get it to run right. (No, they were NOT on the manufacturer's web site either. Thanks, Toshiba) Yet Ubuntu picks up everything.

It goes back and forth, but ultimately both platforms, in my opinion, are pretty solid in that department.

patonb - what are you referring to when you speak about a livecd and usb thumbdrive? Are you suggesting he use the livecd as the OS and the thumbdrive to store media?

^ yhza I am.., I doubt just trying out Linux he's going to want to save lots of stuff, or if he'll tweak it either.

Using the livecd, you get to see exactly how gthe OS plays with your 'puter...

But again this too has draw backs.w

^ yhza I am.., I doubt just trying out Linux he's going to want to save lots of stuff, or if he'll tweak it either.

Using the livecd, you get to see exactly how gthe OS plays with your 'puter...

But again this too has draw backs.w

Yeah. The LiveCD would be ideal for him to get a glimpse of it and get your feet wet. But to actually USE it would pose extreme limitations.

Well to answer you, Jayce, I have used it in the last 2 years. And as I mentioned, in my opinion, it does a good job, NOT a great job with hardware detection. Just my opinion..... I digress....

Back on topic, what I was saying "no" to above, was to the question of is PCLinux easier - or better? I forgot which word the OP used, and I'm too tired to scroll up - lol) -- working with Windows programs, to which I mentioned Wine, so that is an option, not always, but an option sometimes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom