PC Linux

Status
Not open for further replies.

massacreinfallx

Fully Optimized
Kay so i finally got pc linux to work and when i tried to start mozilla firefox wich came with the install. but it wont work, just wondering is their anythnig specific i should look for that would maybe fix this problem like a setting or somthing?

im pretty much brand new to linux so i dont have much of an idea as to what your talking about with the ifconfig or any comands or consoles or whatever....

How are you connected to the Internet? A bit more information. Do you use a router? Directly connected to a DSL/Cable modem? Do you use DHCP (does your computer automatically get the IP or you manually edit it)? What Linux distro are you using?

Open up a terminal.

If you are not login as root, type su and enter your root password.

Type ifconfig

Is your network adapter listed there, default would be eth0 if you have 1 NIC. You can identified it by the MAC address.

if it's not there, type ifconfig -a

This will show all interface configured and not configured.

Check to see if you have an inet addr (IPv4 IP address) and the correct bcast(broadcast address) and mask (subnet mask).

Type route -n to see the routing table, the important entry is the default route which gets you to the Internet, if it's not there, that means you're network adapter wasn't correctly configured.

Yeah because viruses, spyware, I.E., BSoD, instability, uglyness, and the difficulty of navigating through windows in Windows XP aren't frustating at all....

I don't get whats frustrating about it ... "if you run ifconfig what does it say" ... so you open the terminal, type ifconfig and hit enter. What is so frustrating about that? Chances are your networking problems could have been solved just by doing modprobe <something> but you refused to tell us what chipset your network card has, so we can't help you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom