Partition Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sebrithil

Beta member
Ok so back story to my question is, I'm trying to make a duel boot linux system. The way my hard drive is setup now is I have sda with win7 on it and sdb which is a system recovery. I want to take sda 4 partition and make it sdc. I've been searching around the past few hours with no luck. could anyone assist me in making this possible?

Okay now I am not the greatest with Linux, but I do know that sda, sdb, and sdc are different drives, not just partitions. So you cant take sda4 and make it into a new drive since it is just a partition on a drive. You will have to leave it as sda4 and format it to install Linux on it of your choice.

You can try GParted.

http://www.techist.com/forums/f127/gparted-usage-tutorial-224994/

well i have partition wizard and norton ghost. Also I'm not saying your wrong by any means. I'm just a bit confused as i know my laptop only has the one hard drive.... so maybe the sdb is a manufacturer setup?

I would guess that the manufacturer did something to have it be recognized as a separate drive over just another partition. I can tell you that with my experience using GParted and multiple partitions on every drive that each drive is lettered sba, sbb, sbc and so on. Each partition is sda1, sba2 and so on. So when I look at my drives in such a thing as GParted, i see sba1, sba2 sba3, sba4, sbb1, sbb2 and so on.

Like I said, I am not an expert on Linux. But from my experience this is what I have noticed. Maybe I am wrong and there is a method to trick such tools as GParted into thinking that it is a separate drive not a partition, but I have not found any such method using any software.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom