Packages wont run in Gnome

Status
Not open for further replies.

intercodes

Daemon Poster
Hello,

Iam using fedora core 1 . I downloaded a kppp package(tar) . When I opened that file in gnome , I got an error saying corrupted files ,cant open.

But when I switched to kde and opened the package, it opened and I ran the setup.

So are there packages that are specifically designed for various desktops environments, or is that I have a problem with my gnome env'mnt

there are some packages that have dependencies yes, and some are GUI specific

generally if you have the libraries for gnome or KDE installed you can run those apps without having the rest installed.For example I dont have gnome or KDE on my system, just the gnome libraries and I can run gnome apps.

Removing KDE and TWN

Well Thank you Mr.Horn,

Well , you said that you only have gnome. I have gnome ,kde,and twn installed. I see that I find no use for other GUI's (kde and twn) . so how do i remove them , atleast I can save some HDD space :)

fedora core right? use rpm to uninstall KDE stuff or:

I think there's an app in redhat called linux config or maybe something available thru gnome where you can uninstall or install packages, Id check there first.It will be available as root only I believe.Been awhile since I used redhat.

uninstall packages??

Hello,

#1) Well yeah , I use Fedora core 1. There's a "add/remove applications" option in the "system settings menu" . But there is only an "update" button but no remove button. I suppose the app is only to add/update packages . I dont find an option to remove the packages.

#2) And you said abt removing the packages using 'rpm' command , and how exactly can I do , say I have this mplayer installed . But its'n wokrin fine , So i have to uninstall that and install new. How do I uninstall?

Thanks
Intercodes

first goto www.redhat.com, thats who makes fedora core, search for some tutorials and any info, they have decent support.

Then search out some linux tutorials in general, youve got some stuff to learn.

try "man rpm" from a terminal and see what it says

Thanks ,Ill take care of the rest!

Hello Horndude,
Thanks for helping me so much , Iam on my way to learn linux ;) . Ill check out the tutorials.
Thank You

Sign
Intercodes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom