Operating system concepts

Status
Not open for further replies.

simple

In Runtime
what is difference between threads and light weight processes?

(i didnt know where to post this question. so feel free to move my post.)

by the way i have referred to two books by Tannenbaum and i have found contradictory answers and thats why i am asking this question here!!
thanks in advance n c ya!!

Apparently no one here codes a OS. So we dont know the answer. Maybe ask in a Linux community where they have coder there who would know a answer to something like this?

A thread is a separate path of execution through an instance of a program contained within the address space of a process (In Linux a thread is implemented as a special process). A process, 'lightweight' or not, is an instance of a program in its own address space. By lightweight I understand you mean the memory size that a process will consume. This is determined by the kernel at runtime and will allocate the processes address space accordingly. This may increase during runtime with the creation of threads and allocation of heap memory. You can not determine what the kernel will do, your process may even be killed by the Linux kernel OOM Killer in certain situations. For more information read the Advance Linux Programming book, it contains chapters dedicated to threads and processes with programming examples in C using pthreads and the exec* family of function calls.

i read up on a lot of things... but i still do not understand what is a light weight process!!
can someone help me out here??
thanks for all your help!!
c ya!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom