OpenOffice

Status
Not open for further replies.

M4A1

Daemon Poster
This question is about OpenOffice Writer.

As you know, MS Word has "Synonym" functionality... when you right click on a word, then go to synonyms, it gives you a list of words similiar to the one you have in the document.

Question: Does OpenOffice Writer have a similiar idea? Not necessarily a right click, but perhaps a thesaurus/list for a given word?

M4A1,

You can use the thesaurus to look up synonyms, and related words.
1.Click in the word that you want to look up.
2.Choose Tools - Thesaurus, or press Ctrl+F7.
3.In the Meaning list, select the definition that matches the context of the word.

4.Select the replacement word in the Synonym list.
5.Click OK.

To look up the word in a different language, click Language in the Thesaurus dialog, select one of the installed languages, and then click OK. In the Thesaurus dialog, click Search. The thesaurus may not be available for all installed languages.

If you applied a different language setting to individual words, or paragraphs, the thesaurus for the applied language is used.

Hope this Helps,

Jake

jakec said:

1.Click in the word that you want to look up.
2.Choose Tools - Thesaurus, or press Ctrl+F7.
3.In the Meaning list, select the definition that matches the context of the word.

4.Select the replacement word in the Synonym list.
5.Click OK.

Thanks! It did help, I got it to show up. By any chance, is there anyway to put it on my rightclick menu, so I have it with ease?

M4A1 said:
Thanks! It did help, I got it to show up. By any chance, is there anyway to put it on my rightclick menu, so I have it with ease?
I have not yet found a way to add it to right click, but you can add it to the button bar so you can simply highlight the word to change and click the thesaurus button.

To do so:

On the top of the Writer window, Click on Tools --> Customize --> The Toolbars Tab --> Add... --> In the left window, the 5th item down is "Options" Click that --> Then in the right box, scroll down to the bottom and find "Thesaurus" (It should be 3 up from the bottom) --> Click "Add" --> Left click on "Close" --> Move it where you want it in the list --> Click "OK".

And that should get it :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom